CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam not starting with D3DMetal, DXVK, MSync, or Sync after macOS Sequoia update

Hello everyone,

I recently updated to macOS Sequoia (version 15.0 - 24A335) and reinstalled Crossover 24.0.5 afterward. However, since then, Steam won't start with D3DMetal, DXVK, MSync, or Sync. I've even tried doing a fresh install of macOS, but the issue persists.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with the latest macOS update? Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

For reference, I'm using a Mac mini with an M2 Pro chip and 16GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

Steam takes a while to start. Even on my Pro Max M3. I did turn in a ticket about Steam's start time thinking I was the only one getting this problem. The devs are aware the start time is a bit long but it does start up. I currently have it with no options set and it takes about 45 sec to start up and with the options you stated about the same.

I've never seen it instantly start up. Let me know if it is just a timing issue. I'd be curious.

Hello everyone!

Unfortunately, my experience is different from yours. I have to try starting Steam 6-7 times before it sometimes doesn't crash right away. Otherwise, the start isn't slower than with Sonoma.

However, in-game, particularly with Skyrim, I notice significantly worse frame pacing, and it doesn’t feel as smooth as before.

That's why I attempted to get the GOG version of Skyrim running. With DXVK and Msync, the game actually performs better than the Steam version. I mostly get stable 60 FPS, but I do encounter minor stutters that weren't present in the Steam version with D3DMetal.

Now I'm wondering if D3DMetal could also maintain stable 60 FPS with the GOG version like DXVK does, and whether it would run more consistently and stably without stutters during shader caching. Unfortunately, testing this isn't straightforward, as the GOG version of Skyrim crashes after the Bethesda logo when using D3DMetal.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Use the backup installers for an even better experience with the GOG games. That way, there's no need for GOG Galaxy, and the games install and function even better!

Hi John,

I forgot to mention that I'm already using the backup installer and not GOG Galaxy. I always prefer this method over a launcher-based installation.

Excellent! I have tried to point out to other CrossOver users that if you can get the Steam Game on GOG, go for it! No registration, no internet required, and no binding to an installer or site. I have been accused of shilling, but not so. When something is good, I tell people!

I'm now trying with the Crossover Preview to see if I can get the offline installers of Skyrim downloaded from GOG to run with Metal. If that doesn't work, I think I'll build a small PC and play the game on it with Linux. I can happily do without Windows. ;)

Michael wrote:

Hello everyone,

I recently updated to macOS Sequoia (version 15.0 - 24A335) and reinstalled Crossover 24.0.5 afterward. However, since then, Steam won't start with D3DMetal, DXVK, MSync, or Sync. I've even tried doing a fresh install of macOS, but the issue persists.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with the latest macOS update? Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

For reference, I'm using a Mac mini with an M2 Pro chip and 16GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance!

I heard that 24.0.5 isn't officially supported in Sequoia but I just tested and everything seems to work well. Steam starts and I could run Bioshock Infinite. 2K launcher works. 50-95 fps with ultra/very high settings at 1440p with DXVK. Worse performance with Wine/D3DMetal. Win 10 bottle/Steam. Mac Studio M1 Max 24c, 32 GB, macOS 15.0.

I even tested my Sonoma bottle and it works as well. I got a Winedebug error when the game was launching but it didn't crash and the error disappeared quickly. The game then ran as usual.

You say you reinstalled macOS but did you create a new Steam bottle in Sequoia? You should try that to see if it helps.

When I mention a fresh installation, I mean that I completely wiped everything and set up the entire system anew, which required me to create a new bottle in Crossover.

In my opinion, the new preview version is a total game changer. Steam now launches consistently and quickly. Skyrim runs quite well overall, aside from a few minor issues.

However, on the first startup, my character always freezes in place, and I can't access any menus using either the keyboard or the controller.

So far, I haven't been able to get the LB button on my PS5 controller to work, which means I’m currently without the sprint function!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV1dQa2tINTVNUEhQV0dtQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9