CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Wine configuration not saved

Hi,

I'm trying out CrossOver as I'm a little tired of dealing with the command line.

However, it seems like a very very basic function of WINE is broken in CrossOver. Whenever I try to change something in winecfg (or "Wine Configuration" as CrossOver names it in the UI), my changes are immediately discarded when I either start the app I've installed in the bottle, or reopen winecfg.

Luckily (because the app I'm running needs to be kept absolutely isolated from the host's files), I discovered this as my optical drives, which were spinning at the time, started seeking erratically and caused a minute-long delay in the launching of the app.

Is there any plan to support this basic functionality, i.e. the saving of winecfg changes, or is CrossOver something completely different from what I'd understood it to be?

Thanks,
Micheal

PS: This is latest version, trial, on macOS Sonoma, fully updated.

Hi Michael,

Wine Configuration should be working just fine on CrossOver 24.0.4. What exactly are you trying to do that isn't saving?

Best,
Meredith

Hi Meredith,

That's odd. What I've done is

• Create a fresh bottle for the app installer (Windows 10 x64 bottle)
  • Launch Wine Configuration and removed drives under Drives
  • Closed Wine Configuration
  • Clicked the "Quit All Applications" to make sure the wineserver had exited (only started doing this as a debugging effort)
  • Launched the app
  • Noticeed the optical drives, among the drives removed in winecfg, were being accessed
  • Closed the app
  • Checked Wine Configuration and saw drive configuration had been reset to previous state

In the meantime, I've used regular CLI wine to do the work with this particular app, but I've since created a bottle for ClrMamePro, which has behaved in the same way.

Note that this is the trial version of CrossOver — I'm new to this application. It's not that there's some kind of restriction in place for the trial version?

Thanks,
Micheal

Okay, so I just installed VLC as a test, so here's a step-by-step way to reproduce (CrossOver 24.0.4 Trial on Sonoma):

• Download latest VLC (AFAICT, the latest 3.0.21 version works just fine with CrossOver)
  • Click Install -> Install an unlisted application
  • Pick the installer .exe
  • Create a new bottle for it, keep the default Win 10 x64
  • Click install and install VLC
  • When CrossOver opens the bottle after install, pick Wine Configuration in the right-hand pane
  • Remove all drives except C: in the Drives tab
  • Click Apply, then OK (or just OK, I guess)
  • Maybe wait a bit (I did, as I'm going back and forth as I'm writing this comment)
  • Open Wine Configuration again
  • In the Drives tab, notice all drives have re-appeared (except the / "Z:" drive in my particular case)

Here, in addition to the C: drive, which is the only one I had left when saving winecfg, I have:

D:, configured as a "Floppy Disk", for a device and disk no longer attached (/dev/rdisk11, external DVD drive that is no longer attached, /dev/rdisk11 block device no longer exists, and it's showing the label for a DVD that was loaded there two days ago)
E:, configured as a "Floppy Disk", pointing to /dev/disk9s1, the EFI partition on an internal SSD containing time machine backups
F:, configured as a "Floppy Disk", pointing to /dev/disk9s1, the Data partition on an internal SSD containing time machine backups

ADDITIONALLY, even though I've explicitly removed the Z: drive configured for /, VLC shows, and has access to, a '/' device (network attached?) containing the entirety of my system.

(EDIT: The ClrMamePro bottle, which was created earlier, has even more non-removable drives configured for access: two specific mounted ZFS filesystems, my /Users/micheal folder at Y:, and the Z: / drive which sticks, too).

Cheers,
Micheal

Okay, I'm abandoning CrossOver for now, it's simply too broken.

I had created a "Misc" bottle and installed VLC in it. Nice, has all the shortcuts registered fine in the UI.

I cleaned up the "Home" shortcuts section to only have links to the two applications I had installed in two different bottles. Removed anything else, like readme files and links to websites. Just two launchers.

I then registered an application (app A) that doesn't come with an installer in the "Misc" bottle. Copied its folder to the x86 Program Files folder and used the "Run command" and "Save Command as a Launcher."

This did save a launcher, and at the same time permanently removed all proper icons in the bottle, replacing them all with the generic CrossOver icon. The "Home" section reset itself as well, undoing the cleanup I had previously done there.

Today, I installed another app (app B) in the same bottle, and this, too, installed with the generic CrossOver icon for all its shortcuts instead of the application's own.

Later, I copied a beta version (app C) of the aforementioned "app A" installer-less application into the bottle and tried creating a shortcut to it. The .exe file is named the same as the non-beta version, but resides in a different folder called '<App name> Beta'.

This created a new icon in the bottle, but instead of linking to "app C" and being named after it, it links to "app B" and is named "<app b>" in lower-case.

Keeping the window open and clicking "Save Command as Launcher" once more created another shortcut, this tima with the correct link and the correct name.

But, since there's no "Edit shortcut," "Delete shortcut," or even "Rename shortcut," I can't even clean up. I can't fix the broken icons, I can't remove bugged-out randomly created shortcuts, and I can't even rename anything.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, I do appreciate what you're trying to do. But if this were shareware it'd still be a thumbs down. It's so broken in ANY UI context that I've come in context with, that I can't believe it's not tagged "Alpha," let alone kept in internal testing. And you're charging $74 for this?!?! Are you KIDDING me?

Is this an attempt at a new UI that's simply been released too early? And in that case, is there a previous version with a non-broken UI/winecfg system that I can test before my trial runs out? I think I have like a week left. And if I want to come back and test in the future, like in a year's time, to see if CrossOver is no longer fundamentally broken, can I do that or has the trial period then elapsed?

Cheers,
Micheal

Hi Micheal,

A couple of comments:

Yes, you can always try CrossOver again for 14 days in the future by fully removing all CrossOver files and then reinstalling.

I can't reproduce the drives issue that you see, but removing drives is not something we support or encourage. CrossOver interacts with your desktop environment, and we provide access to all drives that a native Mac application would need. Removing the z drive will actually break registration of your bottle. If this is a dealbreaker for you, CrossOver likely just isn't the solution you need.

Lastly, we recommend installing applications into their own bottles to avoid weird interactions like you describe.

Cheers,
Meredith

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTjg2VDRka1lGdGVVM2I0RyIsImdkcHIiOjB9