CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Compatibility for Redgear Game Controlllers

Hi

I am currently testing CrossOver on a Mac and on a 14 day trial. If it plays all the games that I play, I will buy a license.

So far, it seems to have worked well. However, there is one major issue that it doesn't detect my Redgear game controller. There are two games which need a controller: FIFA 21 and Cricket 19. FIFA still works with keyboard and mouse but Cricket doesn't work without a controller, although it launches fine, so that means it will work like a charm if the controller is detected.

Can something be done about it? I am on macOS Sonoma 14.5. The controller isn't detected on my macOS as well, although its light is on when it is connected. I am using a USB controller.

Thanks

Hello there,

In my experience with say my Xbox controller, I tried it with a USB-C cable and it didn't work either. However, a Bluetooth connection lets it connect just fine. As far as I understand MacOS now only supports PS4 / Xbox and possibly the Steam controller as long as Bluetooth is connected I've tried some 8bit-do and they didn't work. Can you post a link to your controller? Perhaps we can figure it out I'm happy to help.

As far as in crossover if it's not recognized by the host OS it won't be recognized in crossover. Are you playing through Steam? You have to get the controller recognized by the Mac first before I can help you troubleshoot for crossover. As I did have some trouble with my Xbox controller at first in some apps but I did get it to work. It's Bluetooth though not wired.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it will work then, because my controller isn't recognised by macOS (the light blinks when connected but it is not shown in Settings -> Game Controllers section).

Also - It is a USB-A wired controller and since my MacBook has only USB-C ports, I have connected it through USB-A to USB-C hub. I think the best solution is to buy a wireless controller.

Can you suggest me a good wireless controller in the price range of $20-$25, which is compatible with macOS and Crossover? I am in India, so I hope what you suggest is available here.

Thanks again.

Hello again.

The problem isn't getting it to work in crossover, first we have to troubleshoot the controller issue. Many of the off-brand controllers I've come across from friends and my working with as I mentioned several 8-bitdo's just don't work. The only ones that I know will work are the Xbox, PS4, and MAYBE the Steam controller (but it's not very good).

I've had the best luck with the Xbox. I did return a PS5 controller as the Xbox had more compatibility with Steam INSIDE of crossover. Even Steam running natively on the Mac. Something about how Steam maps those controllers.

The key is not just usb wireless but Bluetooth which seems to be the way MacOS wants you to connect controllers. Here is some useful info from Apple directly: Apple Controller Support

As far as crossover goes read this as well: Crossover Controller support

Update My controller also works in my battle.net container. I do not have any games besides the ones that use those platforms so they reside in those containers. You can see if your controller is supported by your container by going to "Game Controllers" and looking in that area you need to make sure that "it's seen and connected first. Then pending on your game it appears in the DIinput tab and the XInput tab (for Steam at least) I unfortunately don't know about independent bottles for games but I'm assuming it must be in one of those.

Just remember it MUST be recognized by the Mac first. :) :) Best of luck if I can obtain any more info for you I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for all that info. I will check it out.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQktlMnZibjhlUm5LSHBDcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9