CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

"Unable to set video mode" and "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime" errors on MacOS to PC Games with 800x600 resolution Workaround

Hi everyone,

I paid and downloaded an old game "Rage of Mages II: Necromancer" from GOG to play on my MacBook through CrossOver. It was an important game for me in 1999, and part of my childhood. Installation run well, but when I tried to start the game, I got these two error messages:

First error:
Unable to set video mode

Second error: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime error!
Program: C:\GOG Games\Rage of Mages II\allods2.exe
Abnormal program termination.

My system:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, apple M3 Max, 48GB Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

App:
CrossOver Version 24.0.3

After some research, it was clear that this error appears only on old games that require the 800x600 resolution, and as macOS doesn't support this resolution, this error keeps popping up. Also, "Enable Virtual Display" doesn't work on Macs, only Linux for reasons that you can find on several other community posts. However, here is a workaround:

The solution is to download and unzip cnc-ddraw, and copy it to your games folder in the C: drive created by Crossover app. Run the cnc-ddraw config.exe file on the same bottle as the game and allow it to override winecfg. A pop-up option will appear with this message:

cnc-ddraw
cnc-ddraw requires a dll override in winecfg, would you like to add it now?

Set your configurations to NOT open in fullscreen, but a floating window, or any other option available really. There you go!

I suggest an option to be implemented on Crossover that allows for us to choose which screen resolution or just open the game as a floating window instead of full screen.

This is my first time posting here, but thought on sharing what I found as now it is working smoothly.

Sincerely,
Ed.

Would just like to add I would love a solution to this as Railroad Tycoon 2 was huge for me and I'm getting the same errors at times other times I get nothing the game just launches and then closes immediately. I hope they can find a solution Ed.

Hi again Ed,

I decided to buy RRTC2 Platinum and forgo the steam installer from GOG. I created a bottle for windows 7 64 bit and the game installed and runs 100%! Give this a shot perhaps it will work for your game too? I'm not sure but I finally have RRTC2 working also make sure you are on the latest version of crossover that just came out on the 3rd.

I truly hope this helps!

Correction this only works when hooked into my external monitors If I try to run it on my MBP on it's own it won't swap resolutions...

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicEx4WW0zYmRZc0Jua0ZYTCIsImdkcHIiOjB9