CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Quicken Update Fails

Running Quicken under crossover for a week or two now and it's worked. Today Quicken released a patch and it is failing to update. The small popup goes by too fast for me to read it. So, once Quicken is running, I click on the Help menu item, select Check for Updates. It finds the update and asks if I want to install it. I say yes and I get a popup with the message Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load. There is a detail section but it is blank.

This is the first Quicken update since I started using it under crossover. Am I doing something wrong? I'm running Quicken as my normal user (not root). No one else on the Quicken forums has reported an issue. In fact some have stated the update worked but didn't seem to fix an issue many have reported. I'll also ask this on the Quicken forum but I don't know how much luck I'll have since I'm not running it on a Windows machine.

Oh, and updating to crossover 23.5 did not fix it.

Thanks for any help.

I am also having the same problem outlined here.

I'm having this issue as well, with Crossover 22.0.1-1 on Ubuntu 23.04. Have not checked with Crossover 23.5 yet.

Me... four. The problem is that Quicken doesn't support Run as Administrator. My Quicken version shows Build 27.1.48.15.
Originally, the base install for Quicken didn't include everything; the extended/context menus didn't work but updates did, so I manually added the kitchen sink... and updates stopped working, but I got context menus.
I've tried various OS bottles: Windows 7, 10, 32- and 64-bit, Windows 11, but no change. I did notice that, when 23 was released, Quicken installs included more "installed software" than previously. And in 23.5 as well.
Now, with 23.5, the problem remains: Quicken won't update.
The entire popup dialog reads as follows:
Quicken does not support the option "Run as administrator". Using this option may cause you to have problems printing or other issues.
To remedy this we recommend you:

1. Login to your computer as a user that has administrator privileges. Please consult the Microsoft Windows help for how to set sup [sic] Administrator rights on your computer.
  2. Store your Quicken data file in a folder specific to your user name (or, if needed, for multiple users on the same computer in a shared folder).

An update to my first post on this string.

I updated to Ventura 13.6 (rather than Sonoma) and this fixed the Crossover Quicken update problem I was having...hope this helps some users....

Quicken automatic updates, when Quicken starts or when I run One Step Update, seem to work fine. Manually triggered updates are the ones that fail for me.

I'm still with CrossOver 22.1.1 on Debian 11.7 Bullseye [aka oldstable] Quicken, now Quicken Classic DELUXE Version R52.28 build 27.1.52.28 when it just recently/last updated it faulted with an error for updateicons.exe and froze. I shut it down... re-launched and surprised everything works. I've closed and opened multiple times without issue.

I understand this doesn't directly help any user. Just input in the unlikely event someone may notice something.

I got it to update. Here's how I did it. This is from memory. First of all, I made sure I had a backup of my data file.

I downloaded the latest patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product. Bookmark that. The latest patch can always be found there.

I ran the Crossover GUI and then started Quicken.

From the Quicken bottle in the Crossover GUI I selected the "Run Command" button.

In the popup I selected the "Browse" button and browsed to where I had saved the patch file I had downloaded and selected it. I had saved it outside the Quicken bottle. I clicked the "Run" button.

It started to install the patch. Somewhere in the process Quicken exited. I got a popup saying something about being on R1 and did I want to proceed with the update to R52.28. (or something like that. As I said, this is from memory.)

The update aborted with a stack trace.

I swore a bit under my breath and started Quicken to see how bad the damage was. Wouldn't you know, it restarted the patch and finished it. I restarted Quicken and I was now on R52.28 with it's new logo graphics. That's all the patch was for.

It seems to be working fine. I've been able to update my accounts (credit cards and investments from 3 different brokers.)

I'm wondering if somehow it thought is was on a really old release or was confused about what release I was on, although the Help->About said I was on R52.20. I really don't know what the R1 was in the popup I mentioned. I'm curious to see if the next patch installs normally now that it's gotten this one out of the way. BTW, this is the first patch since I installed crossover and Quicken last week after my Windows system died. I'd much rather be using Linux anyway as I'm a retired UNIX/Linux system admin and am very comfortable and familiar with it.

This worked for me as well. It did abort on updating icons and asked me if I wanted to continue. I click continue and then ran quicken. It started quicken and auto ran the update and now it is the new quicken classic. THanks Charles!

Just tried running Quicken again, and it attempted to download & install an update. It got to the "Optimizing and executing files" stage, and update.exe hit an error:

Unhandled exception: 0xe0434352 in 32-bit code (0x7b011e22).
Register dump:
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
EIP:7b011e22 ESP:0021f2a4 EBP:0021f308 EFLAGS:00000246( - -- I Z- -P- )
EAX:0021f2b0 EBX:00000000 ECX:00000010 EDX:0021f37c
ESI:0021f37c EDI:00000001
Stack dump:
0x0021f2a4: 02ca2900 01008755 22ec455c e0434352
0x0021f2b4: 00000001 00000000 7b011e22 00000005
0x0021f2c4: 80070002 00000000 00000000 00000000
0x0021f2d4: 00f90000 00000005 00000000 00000000
0x0021f2e4: 004961f0 0021f3d0 00000001 01cab6c4
0x0021f2f4: 01ca4480 01cab68c 00000000 0021f31c
Backtrace:
=>0 0x7b011e22 AccessCheckByTypeAndAuditAlarmW+0x10e22() in kernelbase (0x0021f308)
1 0x011470f1 EntryPoint+0x194591() in clr (0x0021f3b0)
2 0x01147f96 EntryPoint+0x195436() in clr (0x0021f478)
3 0x7a76d4ff in mscorlib.ni (+0x104d4ff) (0x0021f494)
4 0x7a75dfcd in mscorlib.ni (+0x103dfcd) (0x0021f4a4)
5 0x03f40a2d (0x0021f4b4)
6 0x03f409cf (0x0021f4c8)
7 0x00f9f016 in clr (+0xf016) (0x0021f4d4)
8 0x00fa22ba LogHelp_TerminateOnAssert+0x91a() in clr (0x0021f528)
9 0x00fa850b LogHelp_TerminateOnAssert+0x6b6b() in clr (0x0021f598)
10 0x01141d0b EntryPoint+0x18f1ab() in clr (0x0021f6bc)
11 0x011423ea EntryPoint+0x18f88a() in clr (0x0021f928)
12 0x01142317 EntryPoint+0x18f7b7() in clr (0x0021fe0c)
13 0x01142498 EntryPoint+0x18f938() in clr (0x0021fe64)
14 0x011425be EntryPoint+0x18fa5e() in clr (0x0021fea4)

After closing the error message, Quicken continued to process for a while and then announced "Update successful!" with version R52.28.

I exited at that point, and restarted Quicken. New logo came up when it started, and an info page about "Quicken Classic". Everything I've tried so far seems to be working ok.

Just got the update from 52.28 to 52.33. Near the end of the update process I got a popup that said the program UpdateIcons.exe had encountered a serious problem and needed to close. It produced a backtrace which I have forwarded to CodeWeavers. After closing the popup the update completed and Quicken restarted. It seems to be working ok and says it is running the updated version 52.33.

I have the same problem on a Mac running MacOS 11.7.10 (that's the best i can do, its an older iMac).
Using Crossover 23.6.0 for Mac
Have Quicken R52.28 (latest Classic Home & Business) (and it seems to run just fine)
Help/Check for updates indicates i can update to R52.33
I click Yes to install
get "unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load"
I click "show details" and get an empty window

17 Nov 23 - Unfortunately, this is again happening with the latest Quicken update. Trying now to install the QW27.1.53.16MPatch.exe through the Run command. Not looking good. The progress bar is moving back and forth and says running but it has been going for 5 minutes.

Yes, yesterday I was running into the exact same issue as before with this latest update. This morning I was preparing to use the same procedure as before to manually install the patch. I first downloaded the manual patch update. I think they call this the mondo patch. I then fired up the Crossover GUI. By mistake I double clicked the Quicken icon on the main screen of the GUI. I did not go into the Quicken bottle first. Quicken started and believe it or not, it installed the latest patch. I started Quicken and it is on the latest patch. It even gave me a popup showing the newest features of this version. So, I guess it worked.

I have a Quicken icon on my desktop (KDE) that I use to run Quicken so I don't typically start it from the Crossover GUI. I don't know if starting Quicken from within the Crossover GUI made a difference or not. Maybe someone who is having this problem can test it out. Try starting Quicken outside of the Crossover GUI and then if it still fails to install the patch start it from within the GUI.

Hi folks,

Does the update do any better if you let Quicken update automatically rather than using the mondo patch?

Best,
Meredith

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi folks,

Does the update do any better if you let Quicken update automatically rather than using the mondo patch?

Best,
Meredith

Meredith,

I was going to use the mondo patch but when I started Quicken from within the Crossover GUI it installed it automatically. That was not the behavior yesterday as I noted. Like I said, I typically do not use the Crossover GUI as the installation of Quicken placed an icon for it on my desktop. I don't know if starting Quicken from that icon makes it behave differently from starting it from within the Crossover GUI.

Charlie

Charles R. Dennett wrote:

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi folks,

Best,
Meredith

Meredith,

I was going to use the mondo patch but when I started Quicken from within the Crossover GUI it installed it automatically. That was not the behavior yesterday as I noted. Like I said, I typically do not use the Crossover GUI as the installation of Quicken placed an icon for it on my desktop. I don't know if starting Quicken from that icon makes it behave differently from starting it from within the Crossover GUI.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I wonder if Quicken just had a blip on their end with the update? But starting Quicken from the desktop should be the same as launching it from CrossOver :)

Best,
Meredith

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi Charlie,

I wonder if Quicken just had a blip on their end with the update? But starting Quicken from the desktop should be the same as launching it from CrossOver :)

Best,
Meredith

I don't know. Other people reported being able to install the update. I'm assuming they are running natively on either Windows or Mac. I watch the Quicken forums and no one reported an issue.

Charlie

Update feature no longer works, and still doesn't work. The 23.7 update today is a different problem.

This is happening again with the Dec quicken update. This is getting pretty annoying.

David Crenshaw wrote:

This is happening again with the Dec quicken update. This is getting pretty annoying.

David,

How were you updating Quicken? Did you try to manually install with an .exe, or did you launch Quicken and let it update automatically? I did the second option just now, and it worked for me.

Best,
Meredith

Downloading the patch from Quicken manually and applying it through the run command in the Crossover bottle (with Quicken running) as Charles discusses, worked. Once it is finished it asks if you want to run quicken. I said "no". I then exited Crossover. I then started quicken like normal. It looks like it then finalized the update and opened my normal data file. Neither the onestep update nor checking for updates would work to get the update in quicken. I have the latest Crossover version, the latest quicken and Ubuntu 22.04.

Had to do this for the latest december patch (last 2 digits were 32).

Yup, same here for update 52.32

Charles R. Dennett wrote:

Yup, same here for update 52.32

Had to do this again with the latest 27.1.57.26 update.

You got it, thanks!
I have had the same problem with failed updates over an over again. This time (R58.9), following your hunch, I used Open c: drive in Crossover to find qw.exe in the Programs folder and ran it "directly". Smooth update followed, version appears updated, so far no problems noted...

1 to 26 of 26

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI0OTU4MTA0LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTUs4QlVZOVlzRlVHc05rYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9