CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Printing Problem with Crossover 23.0, one possible fix

I've been using CrossOver since version 19 or 20 something to run the windows version of a graphic design program (Course Designer 4) mostly without issue when CrossOver upgrades happened. (The only previous issue being that Version 22.0 'broke' the program until I realized I had to set the DXVK switch in the bottle). Version 23.0 appears to break printing in that everything prints as a big black box that covers the printer page. Sigh. I would have wasted a lot of ink except for the fact I am using pdfWriter as the printer.

Rebooting didn't help. Reinstalling the printer didn't help. Nothing obvious in the Wine configuration appeared to be related.

I was regretfully considering just switching to Porting Tool (which isn't having any problem running this program or printing) when I figured out the trick for this update (at least for me) so I'm passing it on. Apparently I needed to follow the instructions on this FAQ page

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/faq/printfromcrossover

... AND.... I needed to perform the additional step of completely resetting all my printers before re-adding the pdfWriter. To do that, while you're looking at the printers in System Preferences, right click on the printer and select the option "Reset printing system...". Note that you will need to re-add all your printers, not just the one you right clicked on. Now it prints correctly.

Hope this helps someone else with this issue.

Thank you Janet for the possible fix but it did not work since upgrading to v23 Crossover. I downloaded PDFWriter from the Codeweavers supplied link, reset the printing system, added PDFWriter, reopened Crossover and Course Designer, regenerated the PDF from the .agl and then opened the PDF. Zero filesize. I repeated this process using the suggested LisaNet filepath location. This time it generated a PDF but it is black when viewed. Hope there is another solution as I am now dead in the water for course printing, other than screen grabs :(

Hey Dave - just saw your response to this. I'm going to try to contact CrossOver support and see if we can't figure out what to do to get this working again. In the meantime, you might want to try resetting back to the previous version of CrossOver. You do that logging into the codeweavers.com site and then going to this link: https://www.codeweavers.com/account/downloads/archive

~ janet

FYI - I contacted CW on this and they have responded to me that they have opened a trouble ticket for this issue (we're not the only ones). 😊

~ janet

I wonder if this relates to OSX Sonoma removing the pstopdf command-line tool

No. What 'prints' is a large black box covering the page. That is similar to what displays in the application in question (Course Designer 4) if the DXVK switch is not set when the application is set to use Direct3D graphics mode. (Works without that switch in OpenGL mode).

And it happens in Big Sur, Monterey, etc, not just Sonoma.

Also apparently Porting Kit is able to use pdfWriter to print correctly so - again guessing - it is a graphic issue in the very latest version Wine as modified by Codeweavers. (Porting Kit has to use an older version until Codeweavers releases their latest changes into the wild).

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicUJHQ3ZBSnJ2NGFNZXlybSIsImdkcHIiOjB9