CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Why not a newer version of Wine inside Cx Games?

Hi all @ Codeweavers,

Very big fan of your software since Cx Games 7, and a user of the regular wine software on Linux as well, I am wondering why, in the latest version of Cx Games, we don't get to use the latest 1.3.3x version of Wine.

AFAIK, there have been a lot of longstanding bug fixes these past few months, and I am eager to be able to try them out with (yet) reluctant games, mostly under Steam, which require a recent version of Wine as per howtos found on the internet (for example: http://www.steamgamesonlinux.com/terraria/). Will there be a "more up to date wine inside" version of Cx Games soon?

Best regards,

Antoine

Hello back!

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but while there have been bugfixes, there have also been regressions, which are essentially a new bug that was not present earlier. As a software bundle that is often used by large businesses (some games are marketed through CrossOver), it is extremely important that all or most software is thoroughly tested before such a jump is made. (I was personally surprised when CrossOver began using the development branch 1.3.9.)

Hi...

...what Nolan says is more or less correct -- wine goes through
periods of intense volatility ; fixups in one area, impact upon
other areas in the wine code, and all areas have to 'catch up'
with each other before things all fall into line as it were. This
has been particularly so over the past year, and it seems to me
'quite likely' that if codeweavers had committed to any of the
wine tress after 1.3.14 it would've been regression city around
here. Last I heard (posted by a Ninja in another forum), the
current projection date for the -next- crossover release is late
Jan/early Feb 2012 ... which would just about coincide with the
release of wine-1.4.0 going by progress to date with wine....

Cheers!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYmtVVEJRUHNoUzNndTRuWSIsImdkcHIiOjB9