CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Running 16-bit application

Hello,

I downloaded the last 19.0.1-1 demo version of crossover. The goal was to run the old 'Parity' application - the installation version is available at: http://serwer1982068.home.pl/Parity-install.zip

But it failed. I would have a question - is it possible to run such old 16-bit application?

Rgd.,
Kazik

Hi

Wine relies on winevdm to run 16 bit apps it's a 16 bit to 32 bit wrapper so it doesn't run them as native, as far as I can understand. Pasting the error codes in google other users claim that this error could be related to app's cdrom not present. Is this application on a cdrom?

No it isn't on CDROM.
Rgrds.,
Kazik.

I tried to run this app with dos emu and dospbox but when I try to execute it, both emulators states that real windows is needed to run this app. It means that this 16 bit app needs something called real mode to run, something that 64 bit OS seems to lack... But it seems that this application has requirements that wine can not match, even dos emu gave up and dos emu it's the best dos emulator around. I don't know if you can run this app at all in wine or an emulator without the real mode thing. Real mode, also called real address mode, is an operating mode of all x86-compatible CPUs. The mode gets its name from the fact that addresses in real mode always correspond to real locations in memory. Long story short it's a bit complicated thing especially if you are running a 64 bit os. Are you using a 64 bit or 32 bit os?

On winehq is stated that wine is able to execute 16 bit apps in real mode another possible source of the issue could be that wine is unable to load the gui of the software so it crashes... I'm sorry but I think your issue has a solution way out of my league to find...

Greetings. I have had success in installing an old Windows 3.1 / 3.11 software package from my Defence days - SBInvent which is a database Inventory program for Home Contents - because Military 'love' to travel a lot.... 😊

Bottom line is it works great with a few tweaks (I found). The following is from the install_Inventory.cxlog:

Installing: Unlisted application
Bottle: Inventory
From file: /media/cornish1/Downloads & Backups/Software/Inventory Program Master/Disk 1/SETUP.EXE
Manually added to install: Core Fonts
Manually added to install: CrossOver HTML engine (IE 8.0 mode)
Manually added to install: DirectX for Pre-Windows XP Games
Manually added to install: Flash 9 ActiveX Control
Manually added to install: Flash Player 10
Manually added to install: Java 7
Manually added to install: Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 Service Pack 1
Manually added to install: Microsoft HTML Rendering Engine 7
Manually added to install: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
Manually added to install: Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Runtime Service Pack 6
Manually added to install: Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 10.0
Manually added to install: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 (8.0) SP1 Redistributable
Manually added to install: Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 (12.0) Redistributable Runtime
Manually added to install: Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 (4.2 & 6.0) Redistributable
Manually added to install: Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 6.0 SP1
Manually added to install: Simple DirectMedia Layer Library 1.2.14 (win32)
Manually added to install: Wine Mono
Manually added to install: Windows Script 5.6 (JScript only)

CrossOver Linux 19.0.1
Install location: /opt/cxoffice
64-bit OS
Desktop session: cinnamon
Window manager: Mutter (Muffin)
Locale: en_AU.UTF-8

Contents of /etc/os-release:
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="19.3 (Tricia)"
ID=linuxmint
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 19.3"
VERSION_ID="19.3"

Anything else needed from the log - if relevant, please let me know.

I use Linux Mint 19.3 x86_64.

Rgrds.,
Kazik

I run this application about 8 or 9 years before. I used x32 OS, it was Fedora or Ubuntu.
Rgrds.,
Kazik

You can use a virtual machine installing a linux distro 32 bit and trying with crossover there. Linux guest on linux host has native opengl acceleration so you won't encounter any significant performance loss.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVlNneFdQdXpTUTJ0VlZOQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9