CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Application will not launch in V9.0.1

Hi,

I used to use CrossOver Version 8, but my computer (OS10.6) recently crashed so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade. I downloaded the trial version of V9 and gave it a try. I am attempting to use a program called MegaTune (It is used to tune and monitor my car's engine) and it worked fine in version 8 (with snow leopard). However, in version 9 it will not launch when I open the .exe file. It will bounce once on the crossover icon in the dock, then nothing. But If I try to 'install' it with the install from folder option (there is no installer for the program) it will launch and behave normally as far as I can tell (I haven't enabled com port access yet, so I cannot test everything, but it will launch and I can interact with it).

The program I am trying to use is available here: http://media.vems.se/code/VemsMT1.0.73_20080901.zip it will be in a folder labeled MegaTune 2.25.

Thanks,
Jim

It appears to work OK here.

I suspect you're just double-clicking the megatune.exe file in the Finder, right? When you do that, CrossOver tries to run the program in the default bottle. So, obviously, the first thing that you need is a bottle. Had you created one prior to trying to run MegaTune directly? (I suspect you have one now, as a result of running it through the installer.)

If you already have one or more bottles, the problem is probably that none of them is designated as the default. You can mark a bottle as the default from the Advanced tab of CrossOver's Manage Bottles window. If that was the cause of the problem, then we should make that work better.

Another approach that doesn't rely on any bottle being the default is to use the Run Command dialog (available via the Programs menu). With that dialog, you get to select both the command to run as well as the bottle to run it in. You can also save the command to the Programs menu (and as a launcher icon usable from the Finder or Dock).

Yes! This worked perfectly, thank you very much. Figured it had to be something basic if the installer would run it. Guess I don't remember setting up a default bottle the last time I did this, but that was a while ago. It would be nice if it would prompt you if you tried to open a .exe without a bottle.

Thank you,
Jim

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidjdkczdtN2tCdlcyZHNoYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9