CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Lost/missing files

I only use Crossover to run GemCad, a gem design and optimization program - I'm a gem cutter. I installed the upgrade in a test, found it to be no different than the older version. Near the alloted trial period I dumbed down the version but lost a bunch of designs in files I can no longer find. I've been in libraries, searched application files to no avail. Any ideas where to look. I do have Time Machine but I feel those files may be irretrievable.

Jim

Changing versions of CrossOver should not, by itself, destroy any bottles or document files. Those would only have been destroyed if you took specific steps to do so.

Document files may be saved anywhere from a Windows program. Often, it will default to somewhere in the virtual C: drive of the bottle, which you can find by going to CrossOver > Configure > Manage Bottles > Advanced tab > Open C: Drive in Finder.

This is also accessible by navigating in the Finder:

(your home folder)/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/(bottle name)/drive_c

It is also possible for a Windows program to save files elsewhere, like in your Documents folder, your Desktop folder, etc. Your best bet for finding the files may be Spotlight or Finder > File > Find.

If the files were around for hours, or perhaps days, then Time Machine should be able to recover them. It would typically only miss files that were short-lived relative to how long they've been missing. (That is, if a file only existed for less than an hour, then Time Machine may never have backed it up; if it existed for less than a day, and it's been weeks since you lost it, then it may no longer be available in backups; if it existed for months, then it should be possible to retrieve some version of it for a long time.) You can use Spotlight/Find within Time Machine to find files if you don't know where they are.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoickJRU1FLTXRKQXlWa1dFRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9