CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver and MathType

I installed MathType with Crossover Linux sucessfuly. Everything works well inside Mathtype.

Here's the problem. To get the equation into OpenOffice Presenter which does not recognize MathType as an OLE object, I save the equation in eps/wmf format (the only format without massive zig-zags). When I import the file into Open Office, some characters are messed up. Most work, but things such as the limits on integrals, circular integrals, etc. are garbled.

Thinking it may be a font problem somewhere, I moved all TT fonts from Windows XP (with MathType) to every font directory I can find. No luck. So, here's the question: is this a problem with the MathType installation (the save option) or is this a font problem that can be fixed? Something else completely?

Thanks!

Ubuntu 8.04/Mathtype 6/Latest CrossOver

I think your problem is the eps file format itself. Few programs correctly import the entirety of an EPS file.

What other file types have you tried? Have you tried exporting the equations as rich text? What other save as and/or export options exist for you?

MathType 6 has several options: eps/TIFF, eps/WMF, eps/none (only the WMF has even half a chance!), WMF, GIF (extremely blocky and unuseable although all the characters are there), OLE (the default for Windows), and will translate into four versions of Tex, four versions of MathML, and some Wikipedia thing (texvc).

None of the Tex versions (actually LaTex) are recognized by the Open Office Latex addon.

Dual booting is a pain and I can't get Office 2003 or Office 2007 to install under CrossOver and those are the only two versions I have available.

If only MathType came in a Linux version!

Hmm...well, you should definitely be able to get Office 2003 or 2007 working with Ubuntu 8.04 and the latest version of Crossover (now 7.0.2, but 7.0 should work just as well). What prevents you from installing Office? Perhaps you could try grabbing 7.0.2 and see if that is better?

With either software package (2003 or 2007) it quickly gets to an error message that says: "The installation of Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 failed. Do you want to continue installing Microsoft Office 2003?"

When I click yes, not knowing what this is or why it needs it, the computer sits there and thinks for about 30 seconds. Then, the CrossOver install application just dies... disappears from the system with nary a goodbye!

All I really need is MathType to work for me or PowerPoint 2003 (version 2007 dropped the equation editing function). Open Office works fine for the other things I do.

Well, considering your problems with opening any files generated by MathType in OpenOffice (which I don't think has anything to do with Crossover), I would say getting MS Office working for you so you can use powerpoint would be the most important thing to do. Could you please file a Linux support ticket so we can further investigate your installation issue?

Thanks.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI0OTU4MTA0LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNlVjWHgzQTl2ZzU4QXJxUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9