CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

cx7.0/Office2007: Can't save file in NTFS partition

Hi there.
I've just installed Office 2007 using Crossover Linux 7.0 onto a system running Ubuntu 8.04 64bits.

I cannot save documents in my /data partition (which is mounted as NTFS) if I save the document in Word 97-03 format. It says the disk is full or write protected (none of them true). Still, if I save using 2007 format, it works.

Moreover, If I save the same file on my default partition :~/.cxoffice/default/dosdevices/c:/windows/profiles/crossover/Desktop, it works in both formats.

I have no problem on saving using either format in my /data NTFS partition if I run the same Office2007 instance on a virtual machine like virtualbox, so I am assuming this is some sort of bug or missconfiguration of cxoffice7

Any advice?
Thanks

Do you have a Linux driver capable of writing to the partition? Can you write to the NTFS partition with a Linux application? E.g, can you copy the file to the partition after you saved it elsewhere?

In your VirtualBox setup, do you mount the partition in Linux and access it by forwarding the mounted folder, or do you forward the raw partition into the VM and let Windows mount it?

Stefan,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

To answer your question:

1.- I can write to that partition in linux without a problem. In fact, it is my default data partition so all my program's data, documents, email, etc resides there.
2.- I can copy the *.doc file saved on $CXOFFICE7HOME/.../Desktop created with cxo7.0/word07 anywhere in the disk, including that partition. Then, if I double click the icon, it opens with word2007 in READ ONLY mode.
3.- In my virtualbox config, I mount that partition in linux and then access it through a network shared drive in windows. (virtualbox shares it like some sort of smb drive and then winxp reads it as if it were in another computer.)

so bottom line is that the partition works without a problem in linux

If you could point me to some traces/logs to look at I could help further debugging the issue.

thanks again.
San.

By the way, here is an explanation what is going on: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=26;msg=36058

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI0OTU4MTA0LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMmRaeE5GUGVNNWtZbWJFUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9