CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installing the Crossover-demo*.deb

The suggested Demo download for this system, Debian [unstable] was a deb file. I assumed that 'apt-get install' would do the install but no matter what I try, apt-get can't find the file.

It is currently in my Downloads directory and my working directory was Downloads with my first attempts. I also copied it to /var/cache/apt/archives but apt-get doesn't find it there either.

Doesn't appear that anyone else had this problem recently, why only me? Ideas anyone?

Thanks

Merv

Either use the terminal to install by using dpkg -i crossover...deb or just double-click the file, then it will open the gui-installer.

But I suggest you to read this about debian package-management: http://wiki.debian.org/PackageManagement
Also the commands man apt-get and man dpkg will be usefull

Thank you Martin.

I have been using Debian since Potato as I recall, but the number of times I have had to use dpkg has been pretty small. At any rate Crossover is installed and it appears that I don't have to run the installer. The job of a .deb file is to do the install which it seems to have done.

I selected the Register item in the Crossover entry of the KDE start menu and the wording indicates it is to apply to purchase the Standard Crossover version. That I am not quite ready to do. However I supplied the email address and password for these forums and the reply came back that my trial had finished and I was not entitled to make the purchase.

So I will try to install and run a Win program and see what happens. Strange stuff going on here.

Cheers

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZjNHQW1hY3lrOFZnR2JSYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9