CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

How to manage my storage ?

Hi,

I'm pretty new to linux, and also to crossover games.

I just installed WoW and Starcraft II without major issue, but it's filling my primary disk space up to 50% (I have a 64Bg SSD)

I would like to install also steam, but as it takes lot of disk space, how can I set up the bottle to be stored in my secondary disk ?

I'm running under ubuntu 10.10 x64

The SSD is mount as /
The Secondary HDD is mount as /usr

Thanks by advance for your advise

On my experience, you can't. Your Bottle are stored only in one directory, in your ~/.cxgames/ folder. And as what I know, you cannot change the way it behaves. However, you can run the installer and install Steam at another path, that is at your secondary disk.

CrossOver should be able to run your program though not inside the bottle's C: Drive. If your Secondary Disk is an NTFS Partition, I suggest don't install Steam or any other program in there, this is because recently, WINE had some issue that it does not have permission to access any from an NTFS Partition, you'll get an error using Steam or other program. Read my thread below lol!

I'm quite a newbie too, please don't take it hard on me if I handed out the wrong information!

Hi,

Thanks for your answer !

I made some checks, and the bottles are by default stored in my /user/home/cxgames folder

The solution for me was pretty simple in my case : I just reinstalled completely my ubuntu OS, and made some advanced partitionning, mounting my /home and /opt, on my secondary HDD.

Everything works fine now.

Mathieu Mussler wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your answer !

I made some checks, and the bottles are by default stored in my
/user/home/cxgames folder

The solution for me was pretty simple in my case : I just
reinstalled completely my ubuntu OS, and made some advanced
partitionning, mounting my /home and /opt, on my secondary HDD.

Everything works fine now.

Glad to hear that

You could also make ~/.cxgames be a symlink to your second hard drive. You could also make each individual bottle be located on a different drive if you had the need for this.

Wolf wrote:

You could also make ~/.cxgames be a symlink to your second hard
drive. You could also make each individual bottle be located on a
different drive if you had the need for this.

You mean moving ~/.cxgames to another directory then symlink to it right? I do think it might work in a second, but thinking it'll be very tough because suddenly moving the file might affect some links linked into the ~/.cxgames directory.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzIyMjYxMDA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVWQ5d2ZtU3JVNmNYS3BkViIsImdkcHIiOjB9