World of Warcraft Map Viewer Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How to get WoWMapView to start

How to get started:

1) Download the wowmapview zip archive (either version 0.6.1 or 0.6.2).
2) Unzip it. On a Mac, just open it in the Finder and the Finder will unzip it for you. It doesn't matter where you unzip it.
3) create a text file inside the wowmapview folder (the folder containing the wowmapview.exe file) and set it's contents to the command line you would like to use to run the program. Here are the options that I know about:

wowmapview [ -w | -f ] [ -1024x768 | -1280x1024 | -1280x960 | -1400x1050 | -1280x800 | -1600x1200 | -1920x1200 | -2048x1536 ] [ -p | -np ]

-w window mode (default)
-f full screen mode
-#x# resolution (the default is 1024x768; arbitrary resolutions are not supported; only the ones listed above are. I would like to see 2056x1600 supported...)
-p use patch files (default) (patch files include patch.MPQ and localization\Patch-localization.MPQ where localization is one of enUS, enGB, deDE, frFR)
-np don't use patch files (wowmapview always loads data from common.MPQ, expansion.MPQ, and localization\locale-localization.MPQ in your World of Warcraft data folder - note that not all currently existing files are used by wowmapview)

I created two text files. One called windowed.cmd which looks like this:

wowmapview -w -1280x800

And another called fullscreen.cmd which looks like this:

wowmapview -f -2048x1536

4) Run CrossOver or CrossOver Games

I think you can skip steps 5 to 8 if you installed a Windows version of World of Warcraft into a bottle.

5) Setup a winxp bottle if one does not already exist
6) Select "Run command..." from the Programs menu and type "regedit"
7) Create keys for "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft"
8) Add a string value called "InstallPath" for that key and set it to the path containing your World of Warcraft installation. I used my Mac installation of World of Warcraft (all the data files are the same as those used by a Windows installation) which is on my Games partition. This location would be entered for the InstallPath as Z:\Volumes\Games\World of Warcraft\
(The trailing backslash is required. The drive letter Z should already be set for you to the unix path of \ in the winecfg program which you can access from the Control Panels tab in the Manage Bottles window)
9) Select "Run command..." and enter the path of the .cmd file or use Browse to select the file or drag the file to the Command field in the window.

wowmapview will start running after a few seconds and will show it's main screen. Note the keys that you can use (take a screen shot of them so you don't need to remember them). Click on an area to explore such as Azeroth. If you're using version 0.6.2 then you might be able to control it better by always pressing the right mouse button (0.6.1 does not require this). Press the + key on the keypad to increase the fog distance - this lets you see farther than turning fog off would.

Problems:

wowmapview will quickly crash if you try to move too far from your starting position or if you change view direction a lot. A crash occurs usually when it's trying to load more data (It says Loading... at the top of the window, then exits with an error). This problem does not occur when running wowmapview while running Windows XP using BootCamp to boot it and MacDrive to view Mac partitions. Using BootCamp, wowmapview behaves as it does on a real PC running Windows XP and with a Windows installation of World of Warcraft (which means that it will crash in the same areas, such as near the Sunwell Plateau instance on the Isle of Quel'danas).

Thanks, these instructions worked for me.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR0xwQ0NCcmNaYTNYN0hybSIsImdkcHIiOjB9