Visual Studio .NET 2003 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Blind

I seriously fail to see the logic in getting a windows development tool to work.
All this can lead to is more people developing windows applications that might only work on WINE or your foolish, uncompatable creation.

Should we not instead push to get people to write native applications, if that so is your intent?

It would be easier for smaller companies to test and certify the Windows apps on Crossover Office if the development tools ran under it. Maybe they don't make enough money to develop a native version. Besides, the people who want it to work might use Linux at home/school/work but are developing Windows apps. I know that it was annoying for me to reboot into Windows whenever I had to work on my Visual Basic projects for school. I have VMWare now but it would be nice to have a more seamless solution.

More fun for me, more things for you to hate.
Patrick

I'm developing mobile phone programs and the only way to debug them is to use a Windows-based emulator and Visual Studio to build x86 dll's that are run in the emulator (which provides the same API as the phones). The final builds are done using a different compiler that produces ARM code not x86.

Basically, I want to be able to do this on my MacBook Pro instead of on a Windows machine.

Using crossover office would be wonder, but it can be made to work a little less nicely using Parallels.

Well, one good reason is that the companies I contract for have win32 only products, and I prefer to run Linux. I would rather develop under Linux, and having Visual Studio running correctly under cxoffice would be a big productivity boon for me. So, you might have a pie in the sky purist goal, but I would rather just get stuff to work using the platform of my choice. 😊

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicWZ1UEZWR1VnSE0zaGNjYiIsImdkcHIiOjB9