Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

New Steam Client (June 2023 update) not working on M1 Ulta Crossover 22

Ever since Steam client got updated for the new UI, it has stopped working on my M1 Ultra. I am using the latest version of Crossover. Upon starting steam, a small window appears saying its updating steam, but it disappears within 2 seconds and then nothing happens. I did install another copy of steam in a separate bottle- where steam did update to the latest version, but it was still not launching. Any solutions?

Hi folks,

We apologize for the troubles with Steam after the latest Steam client update. Our team is hard at working looking into a fix, but in the meantime, this is what worked for me: when Steam starts, there are two icons in the dock: one for Steam, and one for steamwebhelper. If you select steamwebhelper and go to the Mac menu bar and quite steamwebhelper, Steam will relaunch and work.

On the bright side, this seems to be working much better on the CrossOver 23 nightlies, and we plan on going to beta for 23 relatively soon :)

As always, I highly recommend submitting a ticket, and you'll get updates when they're available.

All the best,
Meredith

2 5

I'm having a similar issue. With Steam's new UI update, I can't interface with Steam anymore. It is just a gray box when trying to log into Steam.

Same issue with MacBook Pro 16-inch M1 Max macOS 13.5 Beta, just grey box then disappeared but two Steam icon on dock stays there. I was using CrossOver Trial. I will try the Nightlies as soon as I can today.

Confirmed CrossOver 23 Nightlies works beautifully

Druqir wrote:

Confirmed CrossOver 23 Nightlies works beautifully

Same here on a M1 Pro on Ventura 13.4

I tried the work around of quitting steam helper but steam does not relaunch after doing that. Ventura 13.4, crossover 22.1.1

Shlok Dave wrote:

Ever since Steam client got updated for the new UI, it has stopped working on my M1 Ultra. I am using the latest version of Crossover. Upon starting steam, a small window appears saying its updating steam, but it disappears within 2 seconds and then nothing happens. I did install another copy of steam in a separate bottle- where steam did update to the latest "my location" version, but it was still not launching. Any solutions?

It seems like the new Steam client update is causing issues with the M1 Ultra and Crossover. Have you tried reaching out to the Crossover support team for assistance? They might have a solution or workaround for this issue.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWnV3S2ZueW45YnFRbTlxNiIsImdkcHIiOjB9