Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

would like to transfer my steam games from bootcamp to crossover

I've tried finding the answer to this question on these forums and through Google and couldn't seem to find out if this is possible.

So here's my issue, I have a 13' white mac-book from mid 2008, it should have the specs to run tf2. However on boot-camp when I try booting TF2 from my steam account it says the half-life engine has crashed, I can't even get the game to its main menu. I've decided to give crossover a shot because of this. I keep hearing that it's faster than running the game in boot-camp, and it looks relatively easy. I have installed crossover and steam, but whats bugging me is that I'm currently at my parents for the holidays and their download rate sucks, I really don't want to have to re-download TF2. I just assumed if I moved my steam apps from my boot-camp to my macOS that maybe crossover could read it and install tf2, but instead crossover doesn't seem to recognize any of the files.

Is there any means of using my bootcamp steam files to play TF2 on mac with crossover?

Install steam in crossover games, and then copy over your steamapps folder, that should be all you need to do.

To install steam in Crossover Games make sure you are using Crossover Games not just crossover, and go install software, and choose steam via download from the list of supported software.

I've done that and it says TF2 isn't installed, and when I try to install it just tries redownloading it. Crossover Steam doesn't see my steam apps folder at all.

What directory exactly did you put the steamapps folder in?

It should be in a directory called

/Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/Crossover Games/Bottles/<bottle name>/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/

The fields enclosed in <> are unique to whatever they are named in your particular setup.

That's where I got a bit confused. Crossover put steam in its crossover games folder, and there are no other folders with steam like in my boot-camp version. I tried looking up online where I was supposed to put the steam app folder, but ended up having to assume that I place it in the same folder as steam.

user/applications/CrossOver Games/steam apps/team fortress 2

Try putting steamapps in /Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/Crossover Games/Bottles/<bottle name>/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/ that should work perfectly.

Ah thank you very much, steam now reads Team Fortress 2 as installed. Now to see if the game will get past the launching screen.

No problem, let me know how that works out for you.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQmtabmROQ2NKU2JxZW1LdiIsImdkcHIiOjB9