Spaceward Ho! 4.0 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Works almost perfectly under 9x...

Installs just as windows (new win98 bottle, ubuntu). Playability is only marked by the sometimes poor font problem. Texts sometimes appear as double-drawn, but the game plays very well.

Hi,

There are a couple of things that may affect the quality of font rendering;

• Install the corefonts package

• Install one of the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime packages (possibly 6.0 or the 2005 release)

Both those packages are available in the runtime support components area of the
cxinstaller GUI. Another possibility is altering the DPI settings for the bottle
itself...start cxsetup (Manage Bottles) -> highlight the bottle in question ->
Control Panel tab -> launch the Wine Configuration item. In the GUI that pops up,
click on the Graphics tab and at the bottom thereof you will seen the slider
for 'screen resolution'(default value = 96) - sometimes increasing that value a
little (try it in small increments of 5 or so) can help -- remember to click on
Apply -> Ok if you change this setting before trying the game again...

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Oh man I remember this game when it came out... It was the first (of two) mac games I bought in college. Fun times.
I feel old.

BTW the dpi adjustment has a little sample below it that will give you an idea of how the text will render. Adjusting the DPI is one of the coolest things about wine but a bit understated. I use it on my Macbook a lot so I can see what I'm typing on windows programs, since those don't have the great fonts of the mac.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaHI1OVJUWU1tdXNXY3d4ViIsImdkcHIiOjB9