Perfect World International Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Fix for launching game after "Reflections" update

So I couldn't get the game to run after this latest update (released 8/8/2012).
When it launched the window is created but it is all black and unresponsive.

Launching in debug mode revealed the following error:
wine: Call from 0x7bc3db68 to unimplemented function advpack.dll.ExtractFilesA, aborting

The fix for this is to remove the override for advpack.dll

1) Click on the menu item Crossover Games > Configure > Manage Bottles...
2) Select your PWI bottle on the left and click Control Panel > Wine Configuration > Launch Selected Item
3) In Application Settings click on "Default Settings" then click on the "Libraries" tab
4) In Existing Overrides select "advpack.dll" and then click Remove
5) Click OK

You're done now!

It does not work for me, unfortunately. When I tried it and started up, it said it "Needs Gecko" or something, and it stayed at the black screen.

Gecko sounds like Mozilla's Gecko, which would be their HTML rendering engine. Do you have Crossover's HTML engine installed in that bottle?

I do indeed have Crossover HTML engine installed. I also tried installing HTML Engine 8.0 to see if it would solve the problem; it didn't, I'm going to re-install the basic one to see if that fixes it. So far I have no solutions and in addition, PWI does not work still.

I was retarded. My apologies. In researching Battle of the Immortals keyboard issue I noticed that there is another entry that is in there

"Wine Gecko"

However all my documentation shows that I should be using the appid that Crossover HTML Engine uses ... And from looking at the .tie file for that, I cannot decipher how the hell it showed up. I need to jet and get my son from school. Now I am on a "Mission from God" (tm Blues Brothers). Aside from also figuring out why BoI keyboard input is janky. I will resolve this, come hell or high water ....

My apologies tho, I should re-fire up my bottle and see whats broken there. I haven't played since I reloaded Ubuntu 12.04 over RHEL 6.

Your support on this issue is truly appreciated, you have no idea how much.

Brian B wrote:

Your support on this issue is truly appreciated, you have no idea
how much.

Hey no sweat. I have found I have let a couple of games slip, and I am slowly getting around to figuring out things. Now that said, I am debating doing a wine prefix manager myself, since I am seeing that some of the games have regression issues, and others work fine with winetricks. But without Crossover its an absolute nightmare (and mind you I have been on linux since 1996, and have been exclusive since 2001) to manage. Steam has its own crap that needs to be just so. STO and CO has their own. PWI its own. Diablo 2, Diablo 3, the list goes on and on.

But some of these tweaks need more documentation. I got a bunch that a few of the devs and fellow users helped me collate and start up, but its still not helping a whole hell of alot here. That said, I wanted to chime in to let you know that since school started, sleep and time are gone during my custody rights with my son, so once he goes back to my ex for a week, I will have more time to tackle this, and explore doing a prefix manager of some sort of my own. I have noticed that vanilla wine has no issues here, so I am thinking that making the CX bottles and wine prefixes interchangeable, and having a pulldown to choose the wine version and such. I can visualize it in my wee brain, but I need to crap some test code (as if its going to be that easy -- last real coding was for 6811 microcontrollers ... albeit assembly) and see. That will help figure out how tweaked the wine config files are in CX, and if that is minimal oddities like this can be easily remedied by just going to the wine/wine-test branch builds.

Yeah, I am finding alot of reasons to do this :D Just little time to actually churn the code out.

Enough rambling, gotta get ready for work!

Take care, and Ill keep you updated.

You've got a lot on your plate, sir!

OK, I have been hammering on this for the better part of the last week, now that I finally could sit down long enough to not forget things from session to session, and I have to say I am getting nowhere with regards to CX's install. I was able to get things working via vanilla wine, but not CX. I would say, until CX officially supports the PW engine games again, to just use wine or something like Play On Linux to make things work.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNTZSdHNLYXIyNmhRS3hOdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9