Natural Selection 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Natural Selection 2 1.0

Anyone had luck running the 1.0 version from Steam? Actually it will be released in 2 weeks but who preordered the game can still play the beta whihc should be very near to final version.

When i run the game from Steam, nothing happens.

Charlie of UnknownWorlds confirmed to me again that they will release a native OS X version but they didn't have any roadmap yet. So it would be nice to get this baby working with Crossover.

See the tips for more info, maybe we will manage to get it running correctly.

Great. Just one question. I did what you said and got an error. What did you download from the crossover menu when you you said Direct3D. I'd love to get this running and help you actually be able to see the game. ;)

l p wrote:

Great. Just one question. I did what you said and got an error. What
did you download from the crossover menu when you you said Direct3D.
I'd love to get this running and help you actually be able to see
the game. ;)

Hi 😎

I've installed from Install Software, RunTime Support Components:
Microsoft DirectX Runtime - Modern
DirectX 9

let me know!

ikir wrote:

l p wrote:

Great. Just one question. I did what you said and got
an error. What did you download from the crossover menu when you
you
said Direct3D. I'd love to get this running and help you actually
be
able to see the game. ;)

Hi 😎

I've installed from Install Software, RunTime Support Components:
Microsoft DirectX Runtime - Modern
DirectX 9

let me know!

Nope nothing. :( You think maybe you could put the archive of the bottle? that would be awesome.
:)
EDIT: I'm using crossover 11.3.1. what version are you using?

I'm using 11.2.2

I could archive that bottle but i have 2 games installed inside and it takes several GBs.

ikir wrote:

I'm using 11.2.2

I could archive that bottle but i have 2 games installed inside and
it takes several GBs.

Perhapse just duplicate the folder then delete the steam folder in program file and archive that. I'm sure it would be benificial to more than just me. To fix the not being able to see the game, try emulating a desktop and see if that works. It under manage bottles and wine preferences or something.

EDIT: I was able to get the game running after installing visual c++ 2005. You should add that to the tips.
I too suffer from the black screen thing, I'll try to help.

I'm very busy with work, I will try to upload my bottle without game files but I can't guarantee when!

Happy to read that you got the game running, strange I never installed visual studio! Random ;)

I'm sorry to her you're so busy. I don't really need the game bottle unless you fixed the black screen issue, although I still appreciate it. I was actually able to see some of the game when opening the minimap. If you type physics or collisions I believe in the game console, you can see a wireframe of the respective primitives. It provides a playable version of the game and I hope that we can get the game working 100%. I have a 13" mbp 2011, so I can't really play it at a great framerate but it will still be awesome if I can run around a 2 fps.

also as a side note ns2 cannot use the shaders, stoping the game from rendering. after a bit of research, I found spark uses differed shadering which may not be supported by what we're using.

*there are also a few commands that will allow you to see part of the game. For a full list go here: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Console_Commands

After a bit more research I learned that ns2 uses a shader library that is included in windows called shader model 2. I'm going to try install it and see if I can see the game then. (the log says that the game can't load the shaders so it makes sense)

l p wrote:

After a bit more research I learned that ns2 uses a shader library
that is included in windows called shader model 2. I'm going to try
install it and see if I can see the game then. (the log says that
the game can't load the shaders so it makes sense)

Cool, let me know!!! Maybe Friday I will have time to test some solutions. Thanks for all the help :)

Actually, I'm pretty sure wine has support fro shader 2.0 built in. Also it has to come with our graphics cards otherwise from what I've read, we can't get it. But our graphics cards most likely have it because 3 of the UWE devs use macs with boot camp. However, there are drivers supplied by apple for bootcamp and we might have to install those drivers in wine to get shader 2.0 as it might not be supported already.

My brain hurts...
😐

I fixed the game! Here's an install guide:

1. create a new bottle (I only tried windows XP)
  2. add DirectX 9 , DirectX runtime - Modern and Microsoft Visual studio redistributable 2005. These should all be in the install software menu in crossover.
  3. go under run command, select the bottle you are using and type regedit.
  4. go under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and then software. There should be something that says Wine. Right click id and click add new key. Name it Direct3D (cap sensitive)
    5.Right click that and click new -> string value. Do this twice. Right click one of the strings and make it VideoMemorySize (caps sensitive). Then double click it and make it 2048 (regardless of your actual graphics card memory) Then name the next string StrictDrawOrdering and set its value to enabled (caps sensitive)
  5. Thats it! your bottle is ready, just install steam and Ns2.
  6. Hit play and have fun!

As a side note, I myself have weird floating textures all over the place. The game is still playable, just harder. I have not tried it on any other computers, so it might just be mine.
EDIT: I tried it on another computer and as far as I can see its fine. Have fun.

Well done mate!!!

I've installed Visual Studio 2005 on my bottle and added StrictDrawOrdering string with "enabled" inside. Now the games start and you can finally play... but i don't see any weapons model, i don't see semitransparent structures (the one you need to build). Why not try with visual studio 2008?

I tried it with visual studio 2008 and it didn't work. I had the same problem on the other computer I tried it on. The funny thing is, the computer I'm using now has all sorts of floating textures, but I can see almost everything else fine. Some reason, the game can't find some shaders so I crash ALOT. Posted on the UWE forums, hopefully get it fixed.

maybe try with visual studio 6.0?

Any news? I've tried with CX 12 beta, still same problems but i notice more fps and shorter loading times.

ikir wrote:

Any news? I've tried with CX 12 beta, still same problems but i
notice more fps and shorter loading times.

Are you using build 229 in the crossover 12 beta? I noticed a difference in performance between the new build and last. I'm not sure if its a problem with crossover as so much as our graphics card. What's yours because on the intel HD 3000 I can see everything right, but on the ATI 4850, I can't. I tried it with visual c++ 6.0 and no real difference. It may have something to do with antialiasing like in this, only a bit different:
http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124540

try changing around all the graphical settings or something. If that doesn't work, make a new bottle without either directX packages, I heard that installing newer versions may mess with ns2. While installing steam just skip the directX step. Good luck to you.

The game now seems to work on OS X 10.8.3, lastest NS2 update and Crossover 12.1.2, i can see all 3D models. Performance are pretty bad but at least i can play!

Just retried it, still flickers on linux with nvidia 310.

Did you change all the strict drawing options and everything? If you didn't that might be the problem. Look it up on some other wine websites.

l p wrote:

Did you change all the strict drawing options and everything? If you
didn't that might be the problem. Look it up on some other wine
websites.

Ehi, so the game is finally run ok for you too? Do you get decent framerate?

I've only tried the game on my laptop and I haven't been able to get in game. One of the latest builds makes me crash at compiling shaders. Although this happens, I've seen a significant increase of frames on the menu. I guess I'll just have to wait it out until its fixed :(

1 to 22 of 22

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicGNYRXptcmd2QkhoVHd2MiIsImdkcHIiOjB9