Free Realms Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

This game uses a Web Browser plug in for Windows

They say the game works with IE, Firefox, or Safari... I cannot get IE or Safari to install right in Crossover Games. I tried to get this game to work right in Firefox inside Crossover Games, and while the Flash character builder and website parts all work, it never downloads the plug in right and never attempts to install it. I manually downloaded the .exe file that it tries to use to install the plug in and install it manually and that didn't help either, it just says you need to go back to your web browser to do it. i tried manually running the setup exe file at the right spot on when the browser should be trying to install it, and it still is a no go.

for now I havent been able to get this to work.

ok scratch that.. its actually installing the plug in fine, but the plug in just isnt working right in Firefox on Crossover, and the website still thinks its attempting to install, even though its not.

With a CrossOver Games 8.0 and Snow Leopard combo, this game is getting the whole installation done through Firefox. In other words, it's getting as far as you can go without actually getting to play anything; you install the plug-in, download the client, get the updates... then crash at the point you would see the game. Will add detail on how it crashes in a wee while.

EDIT - The current error is that after all updates are complete a Program Error dialoge box with the message "The program FreeRealms.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." appears.

Try following the instructions I added to the "tips and tricks" section. It at least allows the game to run quite well (completely playable) on Linux.

Alas the workaround for linux is not working for Mac OS X.
I installed firefox as described. Winetricks is tricky, its not very OS X friendly so the easiest way I found to install was:

• check the shell script and adjust WINEPREFIX and WINE as needed to actually accept long names with spaces on OS X
  • instead of adjusting everything you can also just search and manually perform the tasks for flash and vcrun2005
  • vcrun2005sp1 is the same as vcrun2005
  • d3dx9 is a bit tougher, I was able to compile cabextract, get the dlls extracted and the registry updated
    The result is that the game starts until right after the loading screen. Usually an error would pop up immediately.
    After installing everything mentioned it just hangs and occasionally crashes.
    Shame though, would like to get this finally to work.

martinbom wrote:

Alas the workaround for linux is not working for Mac OS X.
I installed firefox as described. Winetricks is tricky, its not very
OS X friendly so the easiest way I found to install was:

• check the shell script and adjust WINEPREFIX and WINE as needed
    to actually accept long names with spaces on OS X
  • instead of adjusting everything you can also just search and
    manually perform the tasks for flash and vcrun2005
  • vcrun2005sp1 is the same as vcrun2005
  • d3dx9 is a bit tougher, I was able to compile cabextract, get the
    dlls extracted and the registry updated
    The result is that the game starts until right after the loading
    screen. Usually an error would pop up immediately.
    After installing everything mentioned it just hangs and occasionally
    crashes.
    Shame though, would like to get this finally to work.

Hi,

Umm...why don't you just install these support packages from the installation
targets in cxinstallwizard? Is there a reason you're trying to use winetricks
when I don't think you really have to for these deps?

Cheers!

edit: I mean, apart from the fact the tips&tricks go on to describe the 'long
way around' as it were...just curious

Good question and as you can see in my 2nd point thats what I did for flash and vcrun2005. That was really the easier way instead of fixing the entire script. I tried previously installing all of d3dx9 and it did not help so I looked exactly what Winetricks did.
Pretty good, it really just takes the pieces that are needed for this game to run.

I state now run as I actually got it to work. There was one thing missing which I found on http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=9620
You need to add the Direct3D key, from that time on it actually runs pretty fast.
FYI the other url also uses winetricks but only installs vcrun2005 and the d3dx9.

martinbom wrote:

Good question and as you can see in my 2nd point thats what I did
for flash and vcrun2005. That was really the easier way instead of
fixing the entire script. I tried previously installing all of d3dx9
and it did not help so I looked exactly what Winetricks did.
Pretty good, it really just takes the pieces that are needed for
this game to run.

I state now run as I actually got it to work. There was one thing
missing which I found on
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=9620

You need to add the Direct3D key, from that time on it actually runs
pretty fast.
FYI the other url also uses winetricks but only installs vcrun2005
and the d3dx9.

Yeah, I see that -- what I'm essentially concerned with is people 'doing to much work'
to get things running in crossover, based on information contained in WineHQ AppDB. Not
all crossover users are that computer savvy, and not all information wrt Wine directly
applies to crossover -- you can meld the wine instructions into the crossover case, but
that hasn't been done here (wrt the tip&trick)...for example, the following line;

"sh winetricks d3dx9 vcrun2005"

..that's how wine users would do it -- crossover users could/would instead;

Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Install Microsoft Directx Runtime - Modern

Both these targets are avialable in cxinstallwizard 'service packs & dependencies'.

With regards the flashplayer & firefox bit...if it were me, I would go about it
a different way, again using install targets in cxinstallwizard from the crossover
office suite (even if you don't own it, it's fine to use the demo version for such
tasks) - no manual downloads, no winetricks to edit, do everything inside crossover
using install targets that download/install things for you...stuff like this.

I'm just pointing out there's probably an easier way than following the Wine-centric
methods - unfortunately I don't own the title, so I can't cobble together some nice
easy crossover-centric instructions to save less computer savvy people from a whole
lot of stuff they may not understand...(and might not need to use anyhow)...

...oh, the regkey is still a manual operation however (unless my lobbying to have these
keys included/exposed in another way sees some light)...and perhaps COG-9.0 will be
released with similar install targets as crossover-office has included (.NET, IE6/7,
flash etc)...but it's too early to say for sure yet...

'food for thought' as they say 😎

Cheers!

Since it runs now on my laptop I'll try to install it on my kids one (that has no dev tools or unix tools installed) so I'll try a few alternatives that might be easier. The regkey might not be all too complex yet but adjusting the winetrick script and compiling cabextract is a bit over the top for most customers. If I find an easy alternative for Mac OS X I'll post those steps.

Just tried a couple of methods of getting Free Realms to run. It seem to have gotten easier last time (half a year ago?) I tried this. I was able to just:

That seems to be it. No extra reg keys for directx or anything else. So far that seems to make it work. I ran so far one time in a long hang but thats it.

martinbom wrote:

Just tried a couple of methods of getting Free Realms to run. It
seem to have gotten easier last time (half a year ago?) I tried
this. I was able to just:

That seems to be it. No extra reg keys for directx or anything else.
So far that seems to make it work. I ran so far one time in a long
hang but thats it.

Hi there,

Can you confirm for me that it needs that August 2009 directx version? I know
the builtin cxinstaller target installs the March 2009 version or such, but I've
come across a few titles that require the newer version - I have a ticket open on
this matter, if you can confirm for me this title is like the others, I can add
it to my list of titles know to require the August 2009 redist...

Btw, which version of crossover are you using?

Cheers!

I noticed your reference to the cxinstaller before and I checked the app package just to be safe but on Mac OS X we do not have an option to install DirectX 9 via the installer wizard (the one accessible via the CossOver Software Installer), either in CrossOver or in CrossOver Games.
Looking at the CrossOver/bin packaged folder I noticed a cxuninstall but no cxinstall.
Also, these 2 products locate the bottle in a separate location, one puts it in ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver and the other in ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games.
I am using 8.0 for CrossOver and 8.1.4 for Cross Over Games.

Duh, forgot to uncheck the "hide service pack" in the preferences. Let me check if this works.

Ok, so yes it would launch fine and looks like it plays fine with the March directx. I however changed back again to the august one as I think the shading looks better with it. This could be something personal and time specific (sun was just setting in free realms).
So the real real short install would be to install directx using the installwizard (not forgetting to uncheck the hide service packs in settings, I am actually wondering why its checked by default), use the registry key as described above, install firefox and go to freerealms.
I can't install ie with crossover games and don't want to move bottles between the 2 products as its just as easy to install firefox manually.

martinbom wrote:

Ok, so yes it would launch fine and looks like it plays fine with
the March directx. I however changed back again to the august one as
I think the shading looks better with it. This could be something
personal and time specific (sun was just setting in free realms).
So the real real short install would be to install directx using the
installwizard (not forgetting to uncheck the hide service packs in
settings, I am actually wondering why its checked by default), use
the registry key as described above, install firefox and go to
freerealms.
I can't install ie with crossover games and don't want to move
bottles between the 2 products as its just as easy to install
firefox manually.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for checking that out and also for adding a tip&trick in this
regard..nice work. I have a suspicion this will get easier again when CXG-9.0
but for now we'll have to wait and see ;)

Cheers!

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've got Firefox installed and the Free Realms Add-on installed just fine. When I log into my FreeRealms account, however, it attempts to download the client and then times out and says there's a problem getting the files.

The exact error is:

"The status request for a file indicated that the file was not available"

Any ideas?

-n

Nabih Saliba wrote:

When I log into my FreeRealms account, however, it attempts to
download the client and then times out and says there's a problem
getting the files. The exact error is: "The status request for a
file indicated that the file was not available" -n

I suspect this is a server side issue, these MMORPG games often patch themselves. Try again a bit later to see if you can get the file. Otherwise try a new fresh bottle.

Nabih Saliba wrote:

The exact error is:

"The status request for a file indicated that the file was not
available"

I'm getting the same, and have yet to find a fix.

Managed to get it patched using cxgames 7.2.0.

Does not work with 9.1 and Firefox. I've followed the Tips & Tricks info as well :(

It loads, starts playing the music, shows the intro screen, and then kaput. Back to desktop.

John Rockefeller wrote:

Does not work with 9.1 and Firefox. I've followed the Tips & Tricks
info as well :(

It loads, starts playing the music, shows the intro screen, and then
kaput. Back to desktop.

Same here. CX Games 9.1, Firefox, followed the tips and tricks, created the registry key, etc.

Music starts playing, and it crashes.

1 to 21 of 21

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieUtjdUFndUFRclFDcWczQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9