Fallout Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Curious Fullscreen Question

Hello,

So I installed the GOG version of Fallout on Mac, CXG 8.14. I launched it and to my (very pleasant) surprise, it ran perfectly in full screen without any tweaks, changing of resolution, etc. Quite nice.

Fast forward a bit, and I decide to also install the GOG version of Arcanum. It has some weird graphics issues, but friendly folks here had advised in the past that using winecfg to have the bottle emulate a virtual desktop and running it in a window that way would solve these. They were correct, and Arcanum also runs nicely, which is awesome.

However, I made the (perhaps silly) mistake of installing Arcanum and Fallout in the same bottle. I figured I could just uncheck emulate a virtual desktop in winecfg when doing this. However, despite this, Fallout will now only run in a window.

Figuring I had done something to the bottle somehow, I decided I'd just re-install Fallout in a clean bottle of its own, yet it still only runs in a window, despite all the settings (as far as I can tell) being identical to my first installation of it. So, I'm not quite sure what's going on now. Anyone have advice for getting it back to fullscreen? Fullscreen is obviously not essential, but would be pretty nice.

Thanks.

Hi,
Yeah, that does seem a little curious...and you're correct about
installing two games into the one bottle -- that can sometimes cause
issues, so as a rule of thumb 'one game per bottle' is a bit easier to
manage all in all (and the diskspace usage is negligible for a 'bare' bottle)...

I'll have to restore my Fallout cxarchive and have a bit of a look around
but I do know the game is coded for 4:3 aspect screen resolutions, and so if
your display is not that (widescreen or 16:9/10) it probably shouldn't have
started in fullscreen in the first place (all things being equal) -- I'm not
saying it won't run like that, I'm just obviating it was never designed to..

Typical suggestions are to check it hasn't created a config in your home
directory, and/or blow away both bottles and reinstall both titles into
separate bottles and see if anything changes -- I'll get back to this in a
couple of hours time....

edit:.....and dinner was good ;)...as I suspected (blame my lagging memory)
this title is actually hardcoded to a resolution of 640x480, and as such if
you have a monitor capable of that resolution, fullscreen should not be a
problem. There won't be any config in your home dir - the game saves all it's
data inside the game $installdir. You could (or should) still be able to start
it fullscreen @ 640x480 on a widescreen display (caveat your X server config
will allow for such), however the graphics will looked stretched longitudinally
and such seems to affect the mouse movement (it slows down)...

This is course doesn't help explain why it started fullscreen in the first place
and why it reverted to emulated desktop mode after you installed the other title,
but, I would do the delete both bottles thing and reinstall both titles into their
own (newly created) bottles, and see what happens from there. Unfortunately I don't
have a Mac here to check with (I'm on linux), so I'm pretty much at a loss trying
to explain this behavior..

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Well, thanks very much for your suggestions. When it first started in fullscreen my monitor was not in a 4:3 aspect resolution, but (to my pleasant surprise once more, I seem to be getting a lot of that lately) it does support 640x480, both a 'stretched' version to the widescreen and a natural version that just blackbars the edges of the screen.

GOG is DRM free and very easy to reinstall from, so I think I'll take your suggestion about clearing things out and reinstalling everything, this time according to the one game per bottle rule. I even put a third game in the same bottle (Heroes III, I got lazy and made one bottle for all my GOG stuff) so I suppose that could have also altered something. With your help about the game's natural resolution and where the data is, combined with some other threads on mouse movement, I can probably just tweak around with it and try options until I find whatever is optimal. The game plays, which is obviously the most important thing.

I guess one (semi) plausible explanation for what's going on is that my computer was automatically adjusting its resolution, which it sometimes will let games do, and something about my playing around with other games in the bottle or with winecfg caused Fallout to stop that behavior. I don't understand entirely how this would've stayed in effect after I reinstalled, but it makes what's happening here slightly less mysterious.

Thanks again!

You can use the high definition patch. It works 100% under Crossover... I tested myself.

I didn't even know there was a high res patch until now, thanks!

I'll test this later, but do you happen to know if Fallout Restoration works under Crossover?

The plot thickens...

1. When I adjust my resolution to 600x480 manually, the game freaks out and loads halfway off the screen.
  2. I can't get the hi res patch exe to work
  3. Despite the above, the re-re-install of Fallout in its own bottle again, this time having deleted all the others, runs naturally and perfectly in full screen at the right position and everything, without me changing my computer's resolution.

Conclusion: the game works great, and I'm really confused as to why. I guess there's not much to complain about though :)

Glad you got it working....600x480 would've freaked it out, 640x480 is
it's native coded resolution. Wrt the hi-res patch, I suspect the gog
version already incorporates that, but if that's not so, then it could
be it needs microsoft visual c++ 6.0 runtime installed into the same
bottle as fallout, as the patches were compiled against that package..

Cheers!

Hello,
I install fallout via cross over games to my linux system (ubuntu 10.04).When i click on fallout launch ikon on workspace the game start but a isee only a half of frame on right side i see part of the game menu and on the left side i see black.Any idea how i can resolve this.
Thank you

Filip Maroul wrote:

Hello,
I install fallout via cross over games to my linux system (ubuntu
10.04).When i click on fallout launch ikon on workspace the game
start but a isee only a half of frame on right side i see part of
the game menu and on the left side i see black.Any idea how i can
resolve this.
Thank you

You should install Fallout in a Windows 98 bottle

Filip Maroul wrote:

Hello,
I install fallout via cross over games to my linux system (ubuntu
10.04).When i click on fallout launch ikon on workspace the game
start but a isee only a half of frame on right side i see part of
the game menu and on the left side i see black.Any idea how i can
resolve this.
Thank you

Hi,

Which version of the game are you installing? You won't need  

a win98 bottle for the GOG version (use a winXP bottle for that),
but as I say in the tips&tricks, the game is hardcoded to 640x480
and if your display (or xserver setup) can't do that native resolution,
you will have to enable 'Emulate a virtual desktop' in the graphics
tab of winecfg...

...btw, which version of CXG are you using, and what videocard/drivers?

Cheers!

In my Ubuntu 10.04 with Win98 bottle there were no need to make any tweak. The game just run perfect and in full screen

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieVh0ZkJINTZYZkg5Wm1YRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9