DOSBox Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Native version available for both Mac & linux

I'm not entirely sure this app should be in the database. I
don't myself own/run a Mac, so I'm not sure how appropriate
this is for the crossover db -- to explain ;

1. crossover is meant to run windows apps directly under your
    native OS. Running an emulator with crossover to run the app
    in your OS isn't the same thing.

2. all DOSbox versions are the same for all supported platforms.
    This would infer that DOSbox has the same capabilities and
    performance across all platforms too...but like I say, I don't
    own a Mac, so I'm not really sure...but this is pretty much
    the case for the linux port versus the windows port.

The only case I can find exception for this app being here, is
if the windows version of DOSbox offers better performance and/or
capabilities than the Mac version does -- if this is not the case,
then I doubt this app should be here. One also must consider,
that there may be some performance loss using DOSbox under
crossover (wine) as opposed to using it natively with your OS'
native DOSbox port.

The Linux version of DOSBox does have a slight focus bug that's not present in the Windows version.

I doubt anyone but me cares, and I work around it a different way.

Edit: Technically that's an SDL bug and not a DOSBox bug.

Hey Don!!

Good to see your reply.
Yep it`s indeed for multiple platforms. And i really knew that, but there are games in the database such like Another World, Civilization, that wont run directly in Crossover. And because those Games should be runned under Crossover, i found it usefull to make those games work under Crossover via DOSbox. That was the philosophy behind this ;)

I agree that emulators should run directly under the OS, but unfortunatly not all the great Emulators are for the MAC/Linux, like WINUAE and BLUEMSX. And to do so, those emulators should be emulated ;)

But, i got it running and tested some apps, i made screenshots of it. It has simular performance (runs Great), the only thing is perhaps in big games you should see a slight performance difference.

Now i tested this. All DOS apps should now work under Crossover ;)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieWhLWUJLNWZ3cUZ6QnJTUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9