Curse Client Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How to get it to work

I actually used Crossover Office 8.0.0 to install this app. I created a new bottle using the winxp template then simply install Internet Explorer 7 and then install the app. Should work. I call this one Gold.

Just a heads up - this does NOT work in cxgames. It works wonderfully in pro though.

How to get it to work, i did this and mines working perfectly. if someone is trying and not able to get it to run try this:

This was posted by Paul Bransford, cant remember when or were :P i copy pasted this little hint into a txt file for safe keeping.

The details: (requires you to also have crossover pro... since the client requires ie6)

Preparations (steps 1-3)

1. Use Crossover Pro to install 'ie6' using default settings.
  2. Run winecfg in the ie6 bottle, setting the default OS emulation to win2000 *
  3. create a drive mapping (symlink or use winecfg, same thing) so that your cxgames WoW install is a drive letter for the ie6 bottle

Curse client install/setup (steps 4-x)

1. install the curse client.
  2. Run (or tell the installer to run) the curse client. DON'T LOG IN!
  3. Edit your curse client settings and disable automatic update checks. Also, tell it to close the client when you close the window
  4. Exit the client (important! otherwise it locks up trying to check for an update anyways)
  5. Run the client, and choose to add a game. Browse to the drive letter you linked/setup earlier

Congrats! It should just work now! (keep in mind you need to manually download and install curse.com client updates

• the curse.com client uses unicode wxWidgets, which needs win2k or higher... but the ie6 bottle defaults to win98. Installing without doing this results in wxWidgets not installing, and a broken curse.com client install.

Hi Luis,

I've been attempting to track down instances where CXG-9 might benefit
from having IE added to it's inbuilt install targets -- I've isolated a
few cases where IE7 is required, and seeing your posting here is somewhat
related....the workaround uses IE6.

As I don't own WoW, I can't check this myself perse. The Curse Client is
categorized as a Game Tool...imho, an attempt should be made to see if
this can be run in CXG now....so if yourself (or anyone else) would like
to try this and report back, it'd be really handy to know the results...

1. Using CXO (grab the demo if you don't own it) create a new win2000 bottle
    and install IE6. Now archive that bottle, quit CXO. Start CXG and restore that
    archive into the CXG environment and continue with the other steps detailed.
    Question1 is --- does this method work?

2. Using CXO (grab the demo if you don't own it) create a new winxp bottle
    and install IE7. Now archive that bottle, quit CXO. Start CXG and restore that
    archive into the CXG environment and continue with the other steps detailed.
    Question2 is --- does this method work?

If anyone tries this, post back here please with results.. 8)

Cheers!

ok heres the results.

1. created the win2k bottle installed ie6 archived it in CXO, and restored it in CXG 9.0. Curse Client works correctly, a bit slow and laggy and freezes up sometimes but works.

2. created the xp bottle installed ie7 and archived it, restored it in CXG 9.0. Curse clients works, faster than in the win2k bottle tested earlier and no freez ups.

Thanks very much Luis for checking this out (and being so quick off the mark to do so!)

I've let our Magnificent Ninjas know about this thread, so it adds to the critical
mass of the IE7 in CXG ticket I already have running -- hopefully such information will
help ease the pain here wrt this title..ie; all working together in the single crossover
version without the need for CXO....

You deserve an extra 500 XP for your effort here imho -- perhaps the Ninjas may agree 😎

Cheers and thanks again!

no problem its all part of being a community, if we don't pitch in we wont get anywhere :0

Has anyone tried this recently w/ the new clients?

I've been playing with this one for a while today. So far, the last version 3 client (3.0.0.10) will work fine following the steps outlined here in this forum thread (eg making an IE7 archive from CXPro 10, importing into CXG 10, and installing the v3 client).

The v4 client will not install in CXPro or CXG. It always errors out with an IE security error about a trusted site. I'm guessing this is related to the .NET component in the installer. If you set the IE security on the lowest setting, then the installer attempts to use IE to download an XML file, and so far.. all I've managed to do is to get it to open the XML file in a native Linux editor - the installer doesn't snag the file like I'm guessing it is supposed to.

smaug42 wrote:

I've been playing with this one for a while today. So far, the last
version 3 client (3.0.0.10) will work fine following the steps
outlined here in this forum thread (eg making an IE7 archive from
CXPro 10, importing into CXG 10, and installing the v3 client).

The v4 client will not install in CXPro or CXG. It always errors
out with an IE security error about a trusted site. I'm guessing
this is related to the .NET component in the installer. If you set
the IE security on the lowest setting, then the installer attempts
to use IE to download an XML file, and so far.. all I've managed to
do is to get it to open the XML file in a native Linux editor - the
installer doesn't snag the file like I'm guessing it is supposed to.

Hi,

I just had a peek at it -- it's trying to install .NET 3.5 which
unfortunately is not supported/known not to work in Crossover/Wine at
this time. Just thought I'd let you'all know =)

Cheers!

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWlBheXNlSzdWUUpXRTQ0NiIsImdkcHIiOjB9