Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

steam update and mw2

theres a steam update today, and after the update my mw2 wont work (it work before the update), whenever i try to run the game it ask "do you wanna run in safe mode" but i cant click on yes or no...
im using the crossover games 8.1.4 and im using imac

Have you tried upgrading to CXgames 9.1? There really are a lot of changes between both versions and your issue might already be fixed there.

nah, i really like the 8.1.4 , but maybe ill upgrade it if i cant fix this problem

this is happening to me aswell (also after the update) the safe mode window pops up and then goes away and my game quits without starting up, i changed the properties of the game so i disabled "access steam community ingame" now when the safe mode box pops up it does'nt go away so i click yes and the game launches with a black screen nothing else. i'm using a macbook OS X 10.6 and crossover games 9.1

now i reinstall the game and it cant even start now..... werid

Just to be sure, I re-tested MW2 in CXgames 9.1 under Linux and it is still running fine here. Not sure what changed on OSX that would make it break.

I think it's flunky on some steamapps not others -- and can affect one platform
worse than the other...ie; just I discovered the Steam update has broken Stalker:SoC
totally on linux, and severely fractured it on the Mac...YMMV...

so how you fix it?

Having the same problem on mac with mw2 since the update... Is there any way to use the pre update version of steam?

We are aware that a recent Steam update has broken a number of games on the Mac, causing freezing at launch. We are investigating, but unfortunately have no workaround to offer at this time. 😥

it broke cod 4 too .. wow

dazedai wrote:

it broke cod 4 too .. wow

It's almost like VALVe is purposely trying to break crossover with their random updates that don't change anything on windows.... Don't you just wanna whack Gabe Newell with a 2x4 right about now? Jeez..

Nahh...I read some forum posts saying the update has caused issues (with
some titles) in Windows as well, so I guess Gabe pretty much loves us
all equally?... 8)

Cheers!

We have confirmed that a number of recent bugs in Steam games are due to changes in the in-game community overlay DLL. For some games, disabling the in-game community feature via Steam's settings is good enough to fix the problem. For other games, that's not enough.

For those, you can go into the Wine Configuration (winecfg) tool via Manage Bottles -> select bottle with Steam -> Control Panel. On winecfg's Applications tab, click Add Application. Select the executable of the Steam game that's having the problem (or just type its filename, like foobar.exe) and click Open. Select the Libraries tab of winecfg. Type GameOverlayRenderer in the "New override for library" edit field, click the Add button, click the Edit button, select Disable, click OK, and click OK. That prevents the in-game community overlay from even being loaded for that game.

If you don't use the in-game community, you might find it simpler to just disable it for the whole bottle. To do that, just skip the above steps involving the Applications tab of winecfg. Just leave it with Default Settings selected, which is how it starts, and go straight to the Libraries tab and proceed from there.

it fix it thank you so much! but now all the new map i have on mw2 doesnt work anymore :(

nvm it still doesnt work,

Ken,

Thanks for getting a leg up on the issue, but have you confirmed that this the problem that OSX users playing MW2 are experiencing, or could there be another underlying issue.

Thanks

MW2 was working fine on Macs for us (including me personally) here at CodeWeavers before the Steam update. After the Steam update it would no longer launch, just get stuck at a black screen. After disabling GameOverlayRenderer, it resumed working again.

So, yes, it is confirmed.

Note that this was with CrossOver Games 9.1. There was a known problem with MW2 on certain Macs (GPU-dependent) with CrossOver Games 9.0.

but the new map doesnt work though..

thanks for help!!

when you say the new map does not work, do you mean that the map pack DLC does not work?

1 to 21 of 21

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieEhxMlpuNDNudEN1bWFRYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9