Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

MW2 and Macbook 13 2010 Model Nvidia 320M Graphics ...

MW2 and Macbook 13 2010 Model Nvidia 320M Graphics ...

I just recently bought the new macbook pro with the nvidia 320M graphics.. and every single time i run mw2 regular and multilayer i can get Direct Unrecoverable Error ..? Is there a update for the newer nvidia graphics yet? I also notice LFD2 running awfully slow also..

Please update this as soon as possible pleaseee :)

Make sure to install steam into an XP bottle, then, use the disks to install MW2 into the SAME bottle. Thats how I installed it in linux.

Well i had a previous macbook pro 9400m nvidia graphics.. All i did was install steam via win xp bottle and download the mw2 game from steam and play...

but now with the new nvidia 320M graphics.. i get directx unrecoverable errors :( any other solution? Developers???!

anyone??!?! please help :(

We have made CrossOver Games 9 Beta available to download via the Unsupported Downloads section of My Downloads. I don't know whether CoD:MW2 will work any better with that, but it's worth a try.

Just tried it same result :( DirectX error..

Same thing here on the same Macbook type. Fix it please !

I can report that the same thing happens to me on the 330M card as well. I hope they fix this.

The information that Mac OS X provides to programs regarding the 320M and, for comparison, a GeForce 8800 GT are identical, except perhaps for VRAM. That is, it advertises all the same OpenGL extensions and limits.

Therefore, CrossOver (Wine) is doing the identical thing for the two cards, but CoD:MW2 seems to work on the 8800.

First thing for you guys to try is setting the VideoMemorySize value in the registry to properly reflect the amount of VRAM your GPU has.

If it still doesn't work, I kind of suspect a driver bug that's specific to that GPU.

For those of you who had/have it working on a different Mac, could you report the specifics of the working Mac and GPU vs. the non-working one? Thanks.

Folks, we have released a public beta of CrossOver Games 9.1. I believe this problem with CoD:MW2 failing to launch on some Macs is fixed in that build. Please give it a try and let us know. Thanks.

I can confirm that 9.1 does correct this issue. You guys have been doing a real nice job with this game. The only issue I have right now is with the mouse. The mouse is very stuttery when I move it in game. Aside from that, I have seen a noticeable frame rate increase, and having it run is always nice, too. ;)

Hi guys, sorry to dig the thread up.. but I felt it was unnecessary to make a new one.

I have the same laptop Andy has. And I am currently running/trialing the demo "CrossOver Games 9.1"
And I get the warning message:

DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error.

And it force quits the program. This message pops up when I am loading a map or campaign mission.. about 2 seconds into the loading.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I am also guessing that the others got it to work, but can you guys elaborate a bit on what you guys did? Am I supposed to move the steam installation to the winxp bottle? Like from the Steam bottle to the winxp bottle? Copy&Paste or drag and leave the Steam bottle desolate? Really confused..

I'm not sure what you're asking about with respect to the bottles (which is not surprising, since you've said you're confused 😊).

As far as I know, CoD:MW2 is still only available through Steam. So, you would install Steam using CrossOver's built-in profile for it. By default, it will create a new winxp-type bottle for it, which is fine.

Once you've installed Steam, you can run it, log in, and install CoD:MW2 within Steam's interface. (I assume your Steam account already owns the game.)

Once it's installed, you just launch it from within Steam.

There's no need to deal with multiple bottles or "move the steam installation to the winxp bottle". No copy&paste, no dragging stuff. It's just all within the one Steam bottle.

Hmm. Maybe the issue is that you're installing from a DVD? Until I just looked at the Tips & Tricks, I wasn't aware it was available on DVD, but I guess it makes sense. I assume it's still Steam-based, though. If so, then the above description probably still works just fine. You can probably register your product key in Steam, and then let Steam download the game. Using the DVD is just a means to avoid a download, although Steam may still need to download some updates.

If you want to use the DVD to reduce the download, then I recommend installing the game from the DVD into the same bottle into which you've already installed Steam. So, in CrossOver's Install Software window, you would select Other Application in the "Select an application to install" section, you'd select the DVD in the "Select an installer" section, and you'd select the bottle that has Steam in it in the "Select a bottle into which to install" section.

From there, the install proceeds as normal.

Hopefully, once you've got CoD:MW2 installed into a bottle with Steam, and Steam has been installed using CrossOver's built-in profile for it, that will resolve your DirectX-related crash. If not, reply back here or open a support ticket.

Hi Ken,

I have a legitimate copy of COD6 on my steam account. I've installed steam with the built-in profile. And I started the download for the MW2 game, but I decided since I already have it on a hard drive that is up-to-date (on a windows hard drive) that I'll just put it in a USB key and transfer it to the Steam(bottle)>drive_c>Program Files>Steam>steamapps>common.

So I stopped the download from Steam's library tab and just transferred the game folder. Then restarted the download, but since the files are there, it did not waste 11 gigabytes of internet usage and just check for the existence of the files (I am guessing). I also "verified the integrity of game cache".

I can only imagine that the file transfer could have possibly corrupted the DirectX..

I tried to install via DVD, but it didn't work, reporting a missing dll. I don't know the details but it may be that I didn't install into the bottle with Steam.

Jason, you can try deleting the common/call of duty modern warfare 2/Redist/DirectX directory to prompt Steam to recreate it.

Also, you know how Steam will occasionally do a first-time setup when you run a newly-installed game? Well, on rare occasions, it does something specific to "Wine". Yep, Valve are aware of Wine and make occasional concessions to getting software to work properly with it. I don't recall if it does so for CoD:MW2, but that may be the missing piece.

You might try running regedit in the bottle and deleting the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Apps\10180] key. That might trigger it to repeat the first-time setup steps.

You might also delete the "call of duty modern warfare 2*.ncf" files. They're small. Force Steam to redo the download of those, it may reset something. It's tedious, but it may be worth verifying the files again after that.

I renamed the DirectX directory just in case, and deleted the "call of duty modern warfare 2*.ncf" files. Steam downloaded 106.1 megabytes.

I ran the MP version and the same results came out. DirectX encounters unrecoverable error..

I checked the common files folder and found that only 3 of the .ncf files were there. Before there were 4, but I do not know which one is missing. It is probably due to the fact that I have not run the SP version yet. I "installed" the SP version and the last .ncf file appeared (call of duty modern warfare 2 binaries.ncf). Found out by the created date, so it is accurate.

Also verified the local files.. No luck so far.

Is it just me that is still having this problem?

I've been having the same problem since day one. I even deleted the files from my windows computer and reinstalled 11GBs of data from Steam.

1 to 18 of 18

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ2RtOW56a1haQ01keHhSUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9