Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Doesn't Install

This game doesn't appear to install properly for Crossover Games 8.0 on Mac OSX 10.6.2. I get an incomplete installation error (2) for it and steam support seem to be rather incompetent with telling me what that error exactly means the problem is ...

Ill post if I get it working, but it looks like this is one of those games that wont work through Wine

This game has been rated platinum by linux users on the wine appdb. I don't know why it doesn't work for you, but it works for them perfectly.

If I get a copy I'll try to install it the way they did it on linux because I have access to both. Because if it is related to crossover games then that is a serious bug.

Yea, please do that. I have linux and would like to see how this game works in crossover (without buying it).

I cannot get it to work on the 8.1.0 beta either. It will not install.

Installation from the DVDs fails, because wineserver won't let go of the last file on disc 1. (impossible to unmount it)

I cancelled that installation and told Steam to update the game (basically download the rest)... will post later on how that went. (it resumes at 65%, but as the game takes 11G I still have quite a lot of it to D/L now)

Edit: Download complete, got the same 'installation incomplete' error.

'Incomplete installation of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (52)'

Did a verify local cache files, it stated that 2 files were wrong and needed to be reacquired but the result is the same.

This is the output of cxstart:

fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\Program Files\Steam\Public", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\windows\system32\spool", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\windows\winsxs", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\Program Files\Steam\resource", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\windows\system32\DirectX", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\windows\Logs", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\windows\system32\mui", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\windows\system", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\Program Files\Steam\config", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\windows\system32\drivers", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\windows\RegisteredPackages", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\Program Files\Steam\bin", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\windows\system32\mui", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\windows\Fonts", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:volume:GetVolumePathNameW (L"C:\Program Files\Steam\Config", 0x505dbe4, 260), stub!
fixme:imagehlp:ImageAddCertificate (0x444, 0x6532268, 0x38ba1f4): stub
fixme:shdocvw:OleInPlaceObject_InPlaceDeactivate (0x845f9f8)
fixme:shdocvw:OleInPlaceObject_UIDeactivate (0x845f9f8)
fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x845f9f8)->(1)

I re-ran a cache check and it complained that 1 file was broken (again). This is what it says when I tell it to verify local cache files the second time:
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1

Looks like currently linux with plain wine is the way to play it.

Hey,

I have a MacBook pro and run steam through crossover games. I have been using steam in playing all counter strike games, halflife etc without any problems. I´ve got the exact same problem that you say you have with modern warfare 2.

I have checked out whether there is anything I can do, but all the troubleshooting tips on steamsupport are for PC. Is there anything I can do about the problem so that it will work on my mac? I´m a noobie and need all the help I can get:P

Thank you!

Hello,

Unfortunately there is not much you can do. The current CX Games versions (including 8.1.0 beta 1) don't run MW2 so you will need to wait for a new version (make sure to vote for the application to give it some priority). Given that the standard Wine can run the game, it should be possible to run this in future releases of CX Games (can't speak for CodeWeavers though, they'll get to it when they get to it).

In the meantime, you can try submitting debugging information to help the guys find the issue (I issued a bug report with some debug data against 8.1.0 beta1 already) and/or try to install standard Wine v1.3.33 on your system on which MW2 is reported to work (at least under Linux). Note however that, since Mac OSX isn't officially supported by the Wine project, installing that seems to be a bit more involved than just installing a package. (I DID find a MacOSX package of Wine at http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ , but it is lagging behind and only offers version 1.3.32 right now.)

Another update from me: the installation issue is gone in 8.1.0rc3, so you can probably expect the game to start when it goes final.

Performance on my system is quite bad though, but I have not done any tuning yet either...

how did you fix your modern warfare 2 installaiton inncomplete (2) ?
I have the same proplem :(
PLease answer

-nonni

nonni kaldal wrote:

how did you fix your modern warfare 2 installaiton inncomplete (2) ?

I have the same proplem :(
PLease answer

-nonni

Like I wrote in the other thread:

1. Make sure you use CXGames v8.1.0 or higher.
  2. Make sure your Steam Client is up to date
  3. Verify local game files (see the properties of the game under 'My Games')

I did not understand CXGames v8.1.0 or higher
Sorry
my steam client is up to date and i have done verify local games files

I meant: Which version of Crossover Games are you running? You need version 8.1.0 or higher (8.1.4 is the current one).

im using crossover 8.0.3
how can i get the new one

i meant im using crossover Mac 8.0.3

nonni kaldal wrote:

im using crossover 8.0.3
how can i get the new one

That explains your problem. You should see CrossOver Games 8.1.4 under 'My Account' -> 'My Downloads', provided you're entitled to it. I do believe that CrossOver Standard does not include CrossOver Games so you'll either have to purchase CrossOver Games or upgrade to CrossOver Professional (whichever one of these options is cheaper).

1 to 17 of 17

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiek5NcEt0YmtuSDZ5cHVMeSIsImdkcHIiOjB9