Call of Duty 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installs fine wine 9.4.2

I fooled around both with cedaga and codeweavers. Could not get this game to install. I downloaded and installed the latest version of wine, and COD2 installed from dvd and ran great. Just had to change settings in winecfg. So I don't get it. code weavers uses wine and it doesn't work, but if you use wine by itself it works great. Hmm. Maybe code weavers is using an older verision of wine?

I assume you're referring to Wine 0.9.42.

Yes, CrossOver uses a somewhat older version of Wine. This is by necessity since we provide support. Wine is too much of a moving target for us to always be current. Ideally, Wine would never break stuff that's already working as it changes to expand support to more and more apps and fixes bugs with already-working apps. However, that ideal is not a reality and we have to choose between absolutely up-to-date Wine vs. a stable platform for our supported apps.

We take a snapshot of Wine and then do a bunch of testing and some tweaking to make sure our supported apps continue to work well. We then release a version of CrossOver based on that snapshot of Wine. By that time, however, Wine has continued to change and we're already behind.

Our current pattern is that the subsequent version of CrossOver will also be based on the same snapshot of Wine, with just fixes and improvements targeted to bugs or missing features of our supported apps. Then, after two versions of CrossOver based on the same snapshot, we jump ahead to current Wine and start the process over.

So, the current plan is that CrossOver 6.2 will be based on the same snapshot of Wine as CrossOver 6.1 (Wine 0.9.34), with various fixes and improvements. Then CrossOver 7.0 will be based on a more modern version of Wine -- which version exactly is not yet decided, but it will definitely be at least 0.9.42.

I hope that clears things up a bit. Lastly, I would just remind everyone that much of the work that has allowed Wine 0.9.42 to work well for CoD2 was funded by your support of CodeWeavers. Thanks! 😊

Wine is also a moving target. What works in one version may be broken again in the next. Regressions happen all the time. Once we label a program as supported by us, we work to make sure it stays supported in every version of CrossOver after that.

Also, CoD2 does work for me, but only the version that is available on Steam. The CD version does not work due to copy protection issues.

I downloaded the nocd exe file to work around the copy protection issues. I do this with all my games that require the cd or dvd. Its really annoying to have to put a cd in when you play a game. I would have installed it through steam, but they make you buy another copy. They won't let you activate a store bought version.

I've noticed that about Steam, you can register your Half-Life CD keys, but no other keys. I guess the problem is that Activision would need to provide Valve with a datbase of CD keys so you could unlock in Steam. I'd like to see them do this, but honestly, I don't see it ever happening.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV1NCVG55UkZrcFhxVVJVWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9