Call of Duty 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Call of Duty 2 Test 1

I tested Call of Duty 2 on Ubuntu Fiesty, Nvidia 6600LE, 1gb RAM, Crossover 6.0. I am using the Call of Duty: Warchest disk.

I did what I normally do with each game: try WINE, if that fails, try Cedega, if that fails, install it via Crossover. Wine and Cedega did not even get past the install.

The game does not install from the DVD: the game data had to be dumped to a folder, and installed from there. Once there you can install normally....up to a point. CoD2 gets right through to the registration step, then seems to hang. Icons are installed, and it looks like it is registered properly in the registry...it does not run.

I'll need to go through and debug the install. Any suggestions?

We are adding support for Call of Duty 2 in CrossOver 6.1. Note however, due to copy protection we are only "officially" supporting the Steam version of CoD2. Games with disk copy protection will not work in CrossOver at this time. There are ways around copy protection but we cannot discuss it or link to it in these forums.

I tried to install it and I get an error: 'DirectX could not be installed. Install it later.' It keeps there for a while and no message, no windows. I tried the Force Installer Completion but nothing. Is it part of the incompatibility or something I doing wrong?

Sounds like an issue with how the installer is detecting our DirectX. Please try again once 6.1 is released. In 6.1 we have added the ability to install the actual MS DirectX runtime. To do that you would do an install like this:

1. Create a new win2000 bottle in CrossOver Configuration.
  2. Install DirectX into that bottle, it appears in the install list as "Microsoft DirectX Runtime"
  3. Install your game into the bottle you created above. Ignore CrossOvers warnings about doing so.

I've found I've been able to install and at least start more games using this method in CrossOver 6.1.

I have steam up and working fine as far as I know, and if you don't mind me asking, how would I install CoD2 on steam?

Thanks

I cannot install in a win2000 or winXP bottle. I get the following error: Executable M:\setup\rsrc\cod2.ese had the following urecoverable error: unable to open c:\windows\system32.ole32.dll. I have Steam installed. Any ideas? Thank you.

In order to get ole32.dll you need to have either the "CrossOver HTML Engine" installed or Internet Explorer 6". When you install Steam through CrossOver by selecting Steam in the installable apps list, this is usually set up correctly by default. It sounds to me like you installed Steam using the "Unsupported Application" method.

You can still fix it, just go into the Bottle management screen and choose to install "CrossOver HTML Engine".

JW,

Just purchased CoDWarChest and I am getting this error when i first try to install it: "Executable e:\setup\rsrc\cod2.ese had the following urecoverable error: Couldn't find library MSVCR80.dll (required by C:\progra~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\MSOXMLMF.DLL) Please ensure that it is installed." The file is acutally at in that directory but cannot read it. It's dated 10/26/2006. Any ideas? Thanks.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQnVkdVN3d3RQUHlwTFNYQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9