Call of Duty 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

c:\windows\system32\ole32.dll???

Hello, i just tried installing Call of Duty 2 from iso disk image onto crossovers 6.1.

I dont get far in installation becaue it instantly says it cant find:
c:\windows\system32\ole32.dll

i am pretty sure thats a system file... and im 100% sure crossovers desnt have any windows system file. So, how do i fix this? CAN it even be fixed?

We only support cod2 via steam due to copy protection issues.

However, crossover has its own implementation of ole32.dll, it lives inside the crossover .app file on macos, or inside the crossover installation directory on Linux(lib/wine/ole32.dll.so). I think we even create a faked .dll in C:\windows\system32. If not, you can try to cd into that directory(~/.cxoffice/<bottle>/drive_c/windows/system32 or ~/Library/application support/crossover/bottles/<bottle>/drive_c/windows/system32) and just create an empty file ole32.dll, most likely the game is happy with that. It will load crossover's implementation if it tries to load ole32.dll

well... i sorta took your advice and manully put the .dll files in.

Once i put ole.dll in the right directory, call of duty 2 just asked for another .dll file in the same directory.

I sighed and did it anywys. After sticking about 5 .dll files in for call of duty 2. I stopped getting a "missing file" error. Problem is now crossover says

"preparing to install"
"installing unsupported software"
"simulating windows reboot"
"refreshing desktop manager"

sounds like it should worked... right?
well... yah except no pop-up box (like a call fo duty installer box) appeared, and well nthing has changed, as in it clearly didn't install at all.

Worse off is this time i have no error message so i dont even know what to fix.

If you're copying native DLLs in (i.e. those from a real Windows system), that's not the same as what Stefan suggested.

Also, your original post said you were using CrossOver 6.1, which is not the most current release. You should probably try CrossOver 6.2.1.

However, as Stefan said, we don't support standalone CoD2, only the one running via Steam. So, I don't know if it can be made to work.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicXBlRnBwaHNTNWRmNld4WSIsImdkcHIiOjB9