Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Multiplayer shows everybody offline and loses sync but without error

Very strange behavior from AoE2 DE... haven't played in ages so no idea whether this is an update from AoE, or Steam, or Crossover or Sonoma issue.

Game starts normally and I can use the lobby browser and everything normally. But when sending invites, everybody is shown as Offline despite Steam showing everybody as online. Game starts normally and works fine. However approximately when the first fight happens, the game goes out of sync. I see different things happening than the rest of the players. For the rest of the players, my units don't do much anymore, similar to their behavior when somebody dropped and the AI controls their remaining units. For me, all the other players look like that, they do nothing.

There are no errors, no dropping, chat keeps working. Has anybody seen something like this?
Ben

Hi there,

How did you install the game? If you search for "Age of Empires II Definitive Edition" within CrossOver and install that way, multiplayer should work.

Best,
Meredith

Hi Meredith,

When installing the game this way to ensure multiplayer works, should Age of Empires II DE be installed into its own fresh bottle, or can it be installed via an existing "generic" Steam bottle?

Thanks!

Hi Jason,

It can be installed into an existing bottle :)

Best,
Meredith

Thank you Meredith, this sorted it right out. Where could one find the details of dlls/options/whatever that are applied when installing using this option? So to avoid reinstalling every time a problem like this pops up

(Unfortunately I was only able to play exactly once before the mysterious "steamwebhelper is not responding" bug hit me out of nowhere. At least had some fun)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTDliaGV2Z0dSeHhBNlBBcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9