CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Games
Archived Discussion about CrossOver Games, Forum closed.

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

How do you add patches or mods to a game installed on crossover?

I downloaded the demo tonight and I've been adding some old Windows games and some of them were extensively patched after I bought the original disks. How do I add patches to those files? Same question about mods?

Thank you, Eric

If the patch or mod comes with an installer, you should be able to install it into the same bottle as the game using CrossOver's software installer.

If it is a stand-alone program, you can use Run Command (a.k.a. Run Windows Command) to run that program in the bottle.

If it's just some file(s) that you need to copy into the program's directory, you can copy it into the appropriate place in the bottle. The Manage Bottles window has a button to open the bottle's C: drive in your file manager (Finder on the Mac). Alternatively, you can browse there yourself:

On Linux: ~/.cxgames/<bottle name>/drive_c
~/.cxgames is a hidden directory, so you may need to configure your file manager to show those to you, if it doesn't by default.

On the Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/<bottle name>/drive_c

Ken,

Thank you, I think I've figured out how to load patches. New problem. I've loaded the official patch to Star Trek Birth of the Federation (not the fan patch) and it shows that the patch was accepted. When I start the game I get a fatal error and my entire system freezes forcing me to do a hard reboot. From the compatibility data base it shows BOTF should work, but I'm stumped. Better part of three hours playing with the problem.
Eric

It may not be that your system has completely frozen. If a game crashes or freezes when CrossOver is in full-screen mode, you may be stuck looking at a completely black screen. There are several things you can try to recover from that:

First, type Command-Option-R. That's the keyboard shortcut for the Restore Display item in CrossOver's Window menu. The menu isn't visible in full-screen mode, but the shortcut still works and forces CrossOver out of full-screen mode. From there, you can access the Manage Bottles window from the Configure menu. You can use the Task Manager control panel to kill stuck programs. Alternatively, you can use the Quit Bottle or Force Quit Bottle buttons to kill stuck programs.

If that doesn't work, you can try Command-Q to quit CrossOver. If that also doesn't work, you can force quit CrossOver by typing Command-Option-Escape followed by Return. That latter function is built into the window server of Mac OS X. If even that doesn't work, then the window server itself has crashed or frozen up. That is beyond our control and indicates a bug in the window server, the graphics drivers, or some other component of Mac OS X.

I don't know why ST:BotF is crashing. One thing to try is the new public beta of CrossOver Games 9.1 that we recently made available. It fixes some known crashing with games on Mac OS X, although I don't know if it will fix ST:BotF.

Ken,

As they say in the movies, important safety tip, thank you.

Eric

Hi Ken Thomases!
I follow your suggestion and now I can add patches to a game installed on crossover. Thanks for your comment. It's very helpful.
Best wish to you!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE1NzkzNDc5LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUHJNNTY1VWhBWXNnSkZuRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9