CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam crashes when trying to log in.

whenever i try to log in to steam like put my password in it crashes can someone please help me.

Taking for granted that the problem is with Steam itself, you can issue this command, as depicted in the manual. The command is:

steam --reset

I have had a similar behavior with the steam linux client and that fixed it right up. There's no real risk to try it for as far as I can tell. If the problem is more Mac specific, I'm afraid I can't help much.

Edit: That's "reset" of course...

bill fil wrote:

whenever i try to log in to steam like put my password in it crashes
can someone please help me.

We actually had a couple of other reports of a recent Steam update breaking in an older version of CrossOver (12.2.1), but so far to us it appears to work in our current shipping version (12.5.1).

Can you confirm whether J.P.'s suggestion worked, and whether you are running CrossOver 12.5.1 or some earlier version?

Steam is an important app for us - if it's broken, we obviously want to fix it.

bill fil wrote:

whenever i try to log in to steam like put my password in it crashes
can someone please help me.

In fact it does appear now that a Steam update has caused it to stop working in CrossOver 12.2.x. It does work in CrossOver 12.5.x, which is our current shipping version. If you are using an older version, please update.

H!. I'm experiencing the same issue when trying to login to Steam.
A new bottle with a fresh install of the latest downloaded Steam .msi installs, but throws an exception when trying to login:
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000004 in 32-bit code (0x4061ccca).

I'm using Mac OSX 10.7.5 and CrossOver 12.1.2 on a 2010 Macbook Pro.
I guess you are looking at this? Thanks!

Brendan Sebire wrote:

H!. I'm experiencing the same issue when trying to login to Steam.
A new bottle with a fresh install of the latest downloaded Steam
.msi installs, but throws an exception when trying to login:
[i]Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000004 in
32-bit code (0x4061ccca).[/i]

I'm using Mac OSX 10.7.5 and CrossOver 12.1.2 on a 2010 Macbook Pro.

I guess you are looking at this? Thanks!

We have experienced this in-house one time. It seems that Steam's update process is a little fragile. I would start with removing your Steam bottle and reinstalling Steam.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried deleting the old bottle, and doing fresh installs of Steam into a new one. In fact I've done it about five times. Every single time I get the crash when trying to login. The Steam updates do look a bit weird. During the install, I see a black/grey Steam style update dialog with a progress bar which only seems to get up to ~27% before closing abruptly and being replaced with a second white update dialog which downloads ~107MB.

Do you have any other suggestions? I can send a backtrace file if it helps.

[i]Backtrace:
=>0 0x4061ccca in <wine-loader> (+0x4061ccca) (0x06e5d018)
[/i]

i was wondering if once the update for crosstie steam comes out will it auto update? and if so do i need to re download crossover.

sam schmidt wrote:

i was wondering if once the update for crosstie steam comes out will
it auto update? and if so do i need to re download crossover.

You will need to re-download CrossOver - it's not something we can fix in just the Crosstie.

If you have automatic updates enabled, CrossOver will nag you when you next launch it (or soon thereafter), and you can check by hand by using CrossOver's 'Check for Updates' menu.

The update should be posted on our site any moment now ...

Our fix is live! You can download CrossOver 13.0.1 from our home page, or you can use CrossOver's auto update feature to get it and get Steam working again.

YES!! Much Better!

Download Crossover 13 and just select Steam from the list. Cake!

Thanks! Been struggling for last couple of days. A little perturbed that I had to pay $60 to upgrade from 12.2, but whatever, Steam library is worth it.

Hi I'm having the same issue. I'm running Crossover 12.5.1 but my support has expired. Is buying a support extension the only way to fix this issue?

Yeah I have 12.5.1 now.

Are you telling me that in order to get an update, I have to pay full price AGAIN in order to get this to work?

Can someone tell me why I haven't spent the equivalent amount of money on Windows 7 and just use Bootcamp?

What kind of subscription did you buy?

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/faq/pricing/

The upgrade policy is quite well explained:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/faq/upgrade_policy/

John Paul wrote:

Can someone tell me why I haven't spent the equivalent amount of
money on Windows 7 and just use Bootcamp?

1) Because with Win7, a whole slew of malwares is entirely functionnal, which can screw your system right and left. Most malware doesn't work under Crossover. I have tested many in a virtual machine, and found none that did work.

2) In reason of the first point, Win7 cost rises by the cost of subscription to anti-malware, which is about the same as full price Crossover in some cases, and at least the price of renewal. So Crossover, in the end, is always about 100$ or more ahead. Win7 isn't the economical choice.

3) Because Win7, like many windows ahead of it, has many quirks that just aren't fun. Like the registry, an assembly of odd entries in wierder files, that can clog your system. Or better yet, the inexplicable slowdown doing a simple operation, like opening a folder, when it was fast at all other times. Are other OSs perfect? No, but most are better than Windows.

4) Because Crossover is much better than having to dual-boot. You haven't dual-booted much in your life to think it's that great, because it isn't. You dual-boot when you don't have a choice, or you just wierd and actually like waiting for your machine to reboot. As a gamer, I have dual-booted for a long time, and in the end, I alway ended up dumping Windows off my system.

5) Because Win7 eats a couple of gigs off your disk space, for itself.

6) Because, it's always fun to have not used Windows for a while, boot into it, and have it nagg you about having to reboot because of updates. Sometimes, it reboots twice, and I have seen three times to finish it's updates. Yeah, bootcamp (or dual-booting for everybody else), that seems a lot of fun.

I'm sure I could think of more reasons, but I haven't had my breakfast yet and my brain is still sleepy.

If my car isn't working anymore, do I fix the car for a small fee, or do I buy the same car, only new ?

If a program isn't working anymore, do I update the program for a small fee ($5 or something) or do I buy the same program, only new?

No.

I'm already building my own PC, and decided to use Crossover in the short term just to get my PC game fix. It's stupid to have to pay the full price again. (Of course it's not stupid for codeweavers, they're getting money)I haven't run into this anywhere but here. When Steam updates, I don't have to pay. When ANYTHING on my computer updates, I don't have to pay.

So, thanks but no thanks.

The only problem with that analogy is that you paid for a subscription not for a copy of the software. When you stop paying for cable you don't get to watch TV. That's what happened to your subscription.

Your logic, based on analogy, is faulty.

First, with most software, your version is what you pay for, period. For example I had a fax software that ran great at version 6 on winXP, but after a Windows update it stopped working. The software was declared "end of life" and I had no upgrade path for 5$, and the maker didn't offer any patches. There was a discount for the newer functionnal version, but not by much. There was no support extensions, by which I could have received new versions. With Crossover, you have a support period of a year upon purchase, within that year, you get ANY version that comes out during that support period. More than I can say for the entire industry. Don't get me started on Windows version breaking everything from software to hardware...

Second, if you don't let your support expire for more than 30 days, no, you don't pay full price. In fact, taking your car analogy, a car needs constant upkeep and continuous expenses to maintain. So your support extensions resemble much of your example "fixing the car". And just like a car, if you let go for too long, it costs you more to get it running again.

So by saying that something updating on your PC will never cost you anything is ludicrous. In any case, claiming to save money, when thinking of dual-booting or the suspiciously new PC (which you didn't metion before, which magically defeats my dual-boot arguments, hmmm...), you're deluding yourself. If you keep good records, you will find your expedition in Windows land very expensive, but I guess it's worth it from your point of view.

So farewell, and don't let the viruses bite! And do enjoy Win8, I know I sure can't.

1 to 18 of 18

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI3NDcwNjA2LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibUhhMnRhY1VwWDRtQU5yYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9